Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_iphone_ios_8-250x285.jpg
Ericsson has filed lawsuits against Apple in Germany, United Kingdom and the Netherlands after failing to reach a global licensing agreement with the company over both standard-essential and non-standardized patents.

Ericsson claims that Apple continues to sell the iPhone, iPad and other products that infringe upon its patented technologies, some related to 2G and 4G LTE standards, even though its licensing agreement expired in January.

Ericsson has been attempting to license its standard-essential patents with Apple on terms that are fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (FRAND), but the two companies have failed to reach an agreement following over two years of negotiations. Unable to resolve the situation outside of the courtroom, Ericsson has since filed patent lawsuits against the iPhone maker in the United States, and now Europe, for mediation by the courts.
"Apple continues to profit from Ericsson's technology without having a valid license in place," said Kasim Alfalahi, Chief Intellectual Property Officer at Ericsson. "Our technology is used in many features and functionality of today's communication devices. We are confident the courts in Germany, the UK and the Netherlands will be able to help us resolve this matter in a fair manner."
Ericsson, the world's largest provider of mobile network equipment, originally filed two complaints with the U.S. International Trade Commission and seven complaints with the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas against Apple earlier this year. In late March, the ITC agreed to investigate the patent infringement claims, involving 41 wireless-related patents.

Apple originally filed suit against Ericsson in January, arguing that it was demanding excessive royalties for patents not essential to LTE standards. Ericsson, which holds over 35,000 patents, countersued in a Texas courtroom just hours later, seeking an estimated $250 million to $750 million in royalties per year for Apple to continue licensing its patented wireless technologies.

Article Link: Ericsson Extends Patent Lawsuit Against Apple to Europe

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not surprising, this reminds me of the Nokia lawsuit that forced apple to negotiate a settlement with them

UKgaryb

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
Manchester, UK
Depends if they (Ericsson) has jacked up the prices, FRAND should be that, Fair and Reasonable.

Apple filed suit first, so seems like one company wants something out of the ordinary.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Depends if they (Ericsson) has jacked up the prices, FRAND should be that, Fair and Reasonable.

Apple filed suit first, so seems like one company wants something out of the ordinary.

Ericsson own the patents and should be able to demand the value they believe they are worth. Who are Apple to set the price?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
This lawsuit is gaining multinational support faster than most of Apple's services.

Gaspode67

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Oxon, UK

From the original post:

Ericsson has been attempting to license its standard-essential patents with Apple on terms that are fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (FRAND), but the two companies have failed to reach an agreement following over two years of negotiations. Ericsson's arbitration offer with Apple has since expired, leading it to file patent lawsuits against the iPhone maker in the United States, and now Europe, for mediation by the courts.

So, Ericsson is apparently offering FRAND terms, and has had an arbitration offer open so long that it has expired. It sounds very much as if Ericsson has tried all the routes available to them here, and Apple is still refusing to deal or even let a third party arbitrate terms between them. I don't blame Ericsson for pushing these lawsuits. Apple look like they're dragging their heels like a surly teenager on this one...

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
This lawsuit is gaining multinational support faster than most of Apple's services.

You deserve an award just for bringing some well needed levity to a thread about Patent Warfare. Well done.

On a more serious note, Ericsson has been around since roughly forever in the mobile world. I don't follow the patent cases closely, but this one seems like it probably could carry some weight. I don't envision Ericsson burning cash for the sake of it or entering the race for King Patent Troll.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
You deserve an award just for bringing some well needed levity to a thread about Patent Warfare. Well done.

On a more serious note, Ericsson has been around since roughly forever in the mobile world. I don't follow the patent cases closely, but this one seems like it probably could carry some weight. I don't envision Ericsson burning cash for the sake of it or entering the race for King Patent Troll.

Of course there is merit to their case. And there is likely merit to Apple's claim that they are asking too much for a FRAND patent. The two sides are sitting at the negotiating table like poker players, staring each other down. Ericsson has just raised the stakes. This is nothing more than a corporate negotiation.

They will continue to duke it out, calling each other evil and unfair until they come to a number that they both hate, and then they'll sign the agreement. Nothing to see here. Move along.

cdwilliams1

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Plymouth, MN
Ericsson own the patents and should be able to demand the value they believe they are worth. Who are Apple to set the price?

"Standards Essential" patents are treated specially. If my patent is incorporated into a standard that everyone must follow to inter operate, I fall under the FRAND clause - meaning I can charge a fair and reasonable fee that is non discriminatory and pretty much the same for every company- so they can all inter operate and participate in the standard. It's a trade off for making your patented technology the standard. So no, Ericcson can not just demand anything they want. Apple is within its legal bounds to argue that they should be charged about what everyone else using the standard is charged.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
This is all about Apple's and its lawyers forcing Ericsson to burn cash, a strategic move that will probably bite them (and shareholders) in the ass. I suppose when a company has more money than god, eventually they start believing their own press and acting like a deity.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
"Standards Essential" patents are treated specially. If my patent is incorporated into a standard that everyone must follow to inter operate, I fall under the FRAND clause - meaning I can charge a fair and reasonable fee that is non discriminatory and pretty much the same for every company- so they can all inter operate and participate in the standard. It's a trade off for making your patented technology the standard. So no, Ericcson can not just demand anything they want. Apple is within its legal bounds to argue that they should be charged about what everyone else using the standard is charged.

Question -- what is everyone paying for the patents in dispute and what is Ericsson asking Apple to pay?

Based on your comment this seems simple - if they get $1 from everyone else and asking Apple to pay $2, then Apple will prevail. However if they are asking Apple to pay $1 like everyone else and Apple say they are only willing to pay $0.50, then Apple will lose.

Somehow, I doubt it's that simple, though.

Last edited:

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
The parties should have brought this to the courts a long time ago if they knew they weren't going to be able to reach an agreement. They could have also selected an arbitrator to set the price and then not taken up public court room time. But I guess they couldn't even agree on that sort of a process.

Satan991

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
Who is this Ericsson anyway?

Who is Ericsson again? Are they a cell phone manufacturer, because I don't remember seeing anything they've done recently? Are they still a valid entity? Do they still have a pulse? Are they gerbils?

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

Nicely put. Except one glaring exception. Ericsson is asking for a FRAND rate for the patents; not more. They've also offered to have the courts decide the rate.

"Ericsson has been attempting to license its standard-essential patents with Apple on terms that are fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (FRAND)"

Apple doesn't want to pay FRAND rates. Apple wants to pay less.

Other than that tiny, little, minuscule exception you're right on point.

----------

The parties should have brought this to the courts a long time ago if they knew they weren't going to be able to reach an agreement. They could have also selected an arbitrator to set the price and then not taken up public court room time. But I guess they couldn't even agree on that sort of a process.

Ericsson offered the exact solution you're suggesting. Apple said no. The same answer they gave Nokia and Motorola in prior disputes.

----------

Who is Ericsson again? Are they a cell phone manufacturer, because I don't remember seeing anything they've done recently? Are they still a valid entity? Do they still have a pulse? Are they gerbils?

You should be embarrassed by your comment. Seriously, are you just joking?

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
This seemed suspicious to me:

countersued in a Texas courtroom

... the place where all the patent trolls sue because they usually get a favorable outcome.

We simply don't know enough details at this point. Is Apple trying to undercut Ericsson? If so, then Ericsson is right to sue. But to me, 1/4 to 3/4 of a billion dollars per year seems a bit excessive for a licensing fee.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK

They sold the phone division to Sony. They make back end cell network equipment, much like Nokia does still.

Satan991

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
Nope...

Actually, I wasn't joking. If I was joking, I would have said, "A badger, a nun, and a jar of marmalade walked into a bar..."

I think I've heard of Ericsson a long, long, long time ago. But now it just sounds like patent trolls.

DeadSeaMac

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
This is all about Apple's and its lawyers forcing Ericsson to burn cash, a strategic move that will probably bite them (and shareholders) in the ass. I suppose when a company has more money than god, eventually they start believing their own press and acting like a deity.

Well said. With Ericsson looking at lower licensing fees in the near future based on new IEEE rulings regarding wireless licensing fees back in February, Ericsson has to try and maximize a deal with Apple before these lower rates kick in.

So yes, Apple is playing the "stall" card forcing Ericsson to continue to burn through legal expenses even as Ericsson now goes on the offensive with their multinational licensing war with Apple.

Ericsson tried to play nice with Apple for 2 years inside the FRAND sandbox, but Apple refused to let Ericsson play with their pail & shovel.

BigInDallas

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2014
Connecticut
This one is gonna cost apple. Imagine is Erickson could ban sales of iphone.
im not saying this is gonna happen but it could, right? Its time for Apple to realize that patent infrigment, even when Apple is doing the infringing, is wrong. Pay up or invent your own cell tech

----------

Erickson tried to bring an arbitrator in and Apple refused his/her decision

WrQth

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
Nicely put. Except one glaring exception. Ericsson is asking for a FRAND rate for the patents; not more. They've also offered to have the courts decide the rate.

"Ericsson has been attempting to license its standard-essential patents with Apple on terms that are fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (FRAND)"

Apple doesn't want to pay FRAND rates. Apple wants to pay less.

Other than that tiny, little, minuscule exception you're right on point.

----------

Ericsson offered the exact solution you're suggesting. Apple said no. The same answer they gave Nokia and Motorola in prior disputes.

----------

You should be embarrassed by your comment. Seriously, are you just joking?

Perhaps it is not the FRAND patents Ericsson has that Apple has a problem with but instead the ones even Apple says are not essential to LTE which Apple says Ericsson is asking too much for. Apple maybe leveraging the FRAND ones to get a better deal on the non-FRAND ones by not licensing any of Ericsson's patents.

Apple originally filed suit against Ericsson in January, arguing that it was demanding excessive royalties for patents not essential to LTE standards.

BigInDallas

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2014
Connecticut
Perhaps it is not the FRAND patents Ericsson has that Apple has a problem with but instead the ones even Apple says are not essential to LTE which Apple says Ericsson is asking too much for. Apple maybe leveraging the FRAND ones to get a better deal on the non-FRAND ones by not licensing any of Ericsson's patents.

Apple dont want to pay, no LTE for them. IF its not essential for LTE why use it in your phone? SOunds like Apple being a corporate bully.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Does anyone even follows these patent lawsuits anymore? They're getting as tedious as the Steve Jobs movie rumors.

Satan991

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
Nope. No one cares. At all.

It's like rich privileged children fighting over being rich privileged children. If they suddenly get eaten by tigers, people might applaud. It would be a decent day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.