Ericsson T630 - Can i connect it to my mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by allan_zip, Jun 30, 2006.

1. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

My brother has given me a Sony Ericsson T630 to replace my dying nokia. I have a USB cable with it but cannot get the phone to show up on my hd. I'm trying to get some pics off/on it. I'm pay as you go virgin, which dosn't appear to allow me to email myself the images. Do i need a driver for this phone to show up on my desktop?

2. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Just connect the phone via Bluetooth. Works a charm. You can then pull off images using the Bluetooth File Exchange app.

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Exactly. Pair using bluetooth. You can use BT file exchange for the files, and iSync for contacts. It's very easy.

4. allan_zip thread starter macrumors regular

allan_zip

I'm totally bluetooth ignorant. I'm not even sure if my ibook has it (does it?).

5. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Looking at your specs probably not but you can get a D-Link DBT-120 USB dongle quite cheap now. Just plug that in your Mac and you're ready to go.

6. allan_zip thread starter macrumors regular

allan_zip

Ahhh... I got burned on a d-link dongle recomendation before which kept crashing my ibook. I was hoping icould just hook it up via usb but it appears not.

7. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Really? That sounds odd. I used to use a D-Link dongle with my old iBook G4 933MHz just fine.

The T630 doesn't have a fastport on it so I'm not sure if any USB solutions will work with it. The fastport was introduced with the K700i (I think) and since somewhere inbetween the K700 and the K750 SE have started shipping USB cables with their high-end phones.

8. allan_zip thread starter macrumors regular

allan_zip

It comes with a usb cable that fits in the bottom of the phone but nothing happens and i can't find anything in the settings or conectivity menus that brings it to life.
    Before i stumped up for a second hand airport card i was recommended to use a d-link dwl-122 usb dongle for my wireless internet. It always crashed my ibook whenever i removed it or closed the lid and the support site wouldn't assist with any mac os beyond 10.2.something.
    Just thought there might be a quick fix with the usb cable but cheers for the advice all the same. I should be getting a new macbook in Sept so i can get to grips with bluetooth then.

9. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Shows up as a device that will work with iSync, (2.2 and above I think). Have you tried it with it?

As for getting it to mount via USB as removable device, does it show up at all in Disk Utility? I haven't found any other issues with T610s and T630s and Macs, but it's always possible to find them if you look hard enough.

10. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

11. allan_zip thread starter macrumors regular

allan_zip

Yeah, isync was the first thing i opened to get it going but the scan wouldn't detect the phone. It dosn't show up in disk utility but appears in the system profiler under usb, although it is not identified as a phone or external drive just further usb specs, so i'm guessing it's seeing the usb cable rather than the phone attached to it.
    Lookin' like bluetooth connectivity is the answer. Might scout ebay for a cheap dongle and double check for compatibilty issues.
    It's only in aid of getting pics off/on my phone, the camera's pretty lousy as it is and it seems like a lot of fuss but i thought it might just be a case of drag and drop through usb. Anyway...
    Cheers ;)

12. PatrickF macrumors 6502

The DBT-120 should work perfectly.

13. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I would try it on a BT enabled Mac before commiting to purchase.

14. PatrickF macrumors 6502

The T630 works great via BT on Macs so trying it on another BT-enabled Mac won't achieve anything, unless of course you want to use another BT-enabled Mac to pull down the stuff you want.

15. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Nah, I just didn't want the OP to buy something that didn't solve the problem. :)