Erm... Apple Store Chat??

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by zachnelson, Jul 26, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

So apparently, if you order the 2.5GHz Mac mini with one hard drive, you can a second drive, but it MUST be an SSD. According to this Apple Store Chat person you can only have 1 SSD and 1 HDD, not 2 SSDs or 2 HDDs.

2. macrumors 68000

Hahahaha, amazing! What about the $999 model that has 2x 750GB HDD?

I have the 2.5ghz model, and swapped out the HDD for the SSD, it was pretty easy overall. There is no hardware/cable whatsoever to help with adding a 2nd drive unfortunately.. But there definitely is space for it.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. macrumors member

She's trained to provide you a standard answer, in order to deter you from exploring the internals of the mini, to prevent you from voiding any warranties on the product and to encourage you to purchase the "Apple Standard" BTO Mini.

The 2011 minis come with 2 SATA controllers that afford the ability to attach two SATA devices that will fit in the allotted space. This can be a combination of 2 HDDs, 2 SSDs or 1 HDD/1SSD.

I just ordered this cable to see if its the appropriate cable for adding a second Hard Drive into my 2.5 Ghz Mini.

Hopefully it'll work, but I'm hoping there will be more cost-effective solutions in the near future! With shipping the total came to $50 just for the cable.

5. macrumors 6502

what about the screws to hold it in place?

6. macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

This could have easily been answered with a google search. No need to be a jerk to a CS person.

7. macrumors 603

philipma1957

I do agree, but I am not sure if he really had that chat or writes fiction well.

8. macrumors member

Robot

Yeah its not actually always a human you are dealing with. Sometimes its a robot only.

Either way you end up with a heavily scripted human or robot that seldomly answers intelligent questions about hardware.:)

9. macrumors member

10. macrumors regular

Isn't the "bottom hard drive" the one that's already there? I guess if it's long enough it should work but Apple isn't exactly known for having excess slack on their internal cabling.

11. macrumors regular