Erratic Bluetooth Mouse Movement

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Bancoubar, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Bancoubar macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2004
    Hello Everyone,
    I am using an Apple bluetooth mouse and frequently have a problem of the mouse pointer suddenly taking off to a cormner off the screen and, with "active corners", have the screen saver or other expose setting activate. This happens constantly and at times when I am NOT moving the mouse at all (but mt hand is resting on it). I am using a mouse pad which does have some graphics on it; I thought this could be the problem. Has anyone else experienced this sudden, unexplained mouse movement. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
  2. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    In a Mauve Dream
    Yes... to a Degree

I also have the Apple BT mice: one for an iMac, one for PB. I have noticed that unlike the wired Apple opticals, the BT mice are more succeptible to surface reflections. Use a smooth, even-colored surface if you can. Also, make sure that the batts are in correctly: I was one of the first to get the mice, as Apple engineers worked with me with a battery current problem (I was one of the first people to get one). Is the mouse getting hot? If it is, it causes it to be erratic. Either way, this should not be happening. Are you using built in BT or the D-Link adapter?
  3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    No BT mouse but have the Apple BT KB. The KB would not wake the Mac from sleep and had typing lags andoccasional lost connections. I installed the BT irmware upgrade last night and these problems are all gone. Maybe that will help for mouse. You can find it at:

4. Bancoubar thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2004
    Thanks for the replies:

I have switched to a perfectly smooth surface and I'll see if it helps. The batts. are in ok, but on that point, the lithium batts. were dead in about a week. Apple sent me a new mouse, but no new lithiums; I switched to rechargable alkalines, but the mouse does drain batts. more than the keyboard.
    As for connections, I do notice a significant lag when turning on the keyboard and when the keys start to respond; I 'll try the firmware upgrade, but the machine - 15" Al PB - is very new and has BT built in. I'll try the link for the upgrade.

5. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    What you described sounded pretty typical for optical mice in general. I had a logitech iFeel mouse and when I tried to use it on an old apple mousepad (grey), it would jump around a lot. Just work with different mousepads and surfaces until you find the right one.

As for the batteries, I've had my bt mouse for about a month and the ones Apple packed with it still go fine. I also have the bad habit of not turning it off when I go to sleep... don't know what to tell you on that one.