Erratic typing problems on my iBook!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Squareball, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Squareball macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    I hardly ever use my iBook's keyboard as I am usually at my desk and use an external keyboard. However while using the ibook keyboard it's annoying because some times I'll be typing and all of a sudden the typing cursor moves up 3 or so lines for no apparent reason! So I'll be typing and all of a sudden I am typing in the middle of a word three or more lines up. I have no idea what is happening. At first I thought I was accidnetly hitting the fn+up key but as I was typing something a few minutes ago and all I did was start typing in the word "somethign" and in the middle of it the typing cursor was up in the middle of a few lines up!

Anyidea what is going on? Am I accidently hitting a key that is causing this jump and I'm just not aware of it or used to typing on this small keyboard?
  2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Seems like a question you'd be able to answer better for yourself.
  3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Chaszmyr, why did you post that?

Squareball, make sure you have the latest firmware and have OS X up to date.

Also, go into your system preferences for Keyboard and Mouse, and review the settings. Then go into System Preferences > Universal Access > Keyboard, and make sure your settings are as follows:

Sticky Keys: Off
    Slow Keys: Off

If they already were like that, then search through here to see if there is a document as to how else the problem can be resolved. If there is a relevant document, try its suggestions.

Then type up a reply (after doing all I've suggested in this post) in TextEdit or a different word processing app than what you used to see if the problem persists.

Otherwise, if nothing above helps, and if you have AppleCare on your iBook, call up AppleCare for more information, or to see if they can give you a keyboard replacement. The up arrow key might be stuck, or you could have other hardware problems that is best left for Apple to fix.
  4. Squareball thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    Thanks for your help! I'll give all of that a shot! :)
  5. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    I bet your hitting the trackpad and the mouse relocates the cursor to a new line. It only happens up because the text cursor cannot go below the current line of typed text. This happens to me sometimes when I'm typing fast on my computer.

6. Natalia81 macrumors regular

Aug 7, 2004
    Yeah, you might be hitting the trackpad accidentally. I do that every once in awhile on my Sony Vaio without even realizing I touched the trackpad til after it's too late. My trackpad is very sensitive, i guess.
  7. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT

I used to do that all the time with my laptop. Go into system prefs, select the keyboard and mouse icon then select the trackpad. Click on "Ignore accidental trackpad input", that should solve your problem.

This isn't quite how I remembered it being, I thought it used to say "ignore trackpad while typing", but maybe the above does the same thing. Can anyone find that out for me? I am using 10.3.5 so maybe they changed something.