Error -1309!!! What is this?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Leareth, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Hi guys

I googled error -1309 but no luck
    searched forums here but no luck
    see if anyone knows what this code is
    I ge tit when I am trying to copy over files from my 15"PB to an external USB FAT 32 formatted drive. I have had this drive for over a year now and never any problems but today when I go back up stuff I keep getting this error
    worked well two days ago now nothing... grrr
    I can still take data of the drive fine...

Cheers

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Do you have a large file in there (over 4 GB)? FAT32-formatted drives can't handle individual files over 4 GB.

BTW, you can get lots of hits on this in Google, but if you included "-1309" as a search term, you specifically excluded pages containing 1309. Try searching without the "-" if you want to find more info on this error.

3. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I think MadCowBoy made a typo, he meant to say that FAT32 doesn't support files over 4GB.

I've had that same error message myself, drove me nuts until I remembered the limitations of FAT32.

4. AttkApple macrumors newbie

AttkApple

HDD format for iTunes (error 1309)

Thanks for the posting, it works. I had foolishly forgotten about the FAT32 formate stopping iTunes from saving files that are to large for the HDD
    We would really be better off is apple released a sever version of iTunes. Just saying.

5. clavedozzy macrumors newbie

I agree with Wildcowboy..FAT32 wont support files over 4gb.
    You can solve this problem by choosing the format as NTFS (Windows formatting) or as HFS (mac formatting).