Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaurenLycnthrpy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
My hard drive just failed so I had to erase everything. Luckily, I had all of my files saved on my external hard drive. However, when I went to try and drag my pictures from my external hard drive over to the pictures folder on my macbook, I got a message saying 'Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred. (Error code - 1426)' I've tried searching forums all over and I can't find anything that fits my exact problem. Any ideas?

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
My hard drive just failed so I had to erase everything. Luckily, I had all of my files saved on my external hard drive. However, when I went to try and drag my pictures from my external hard drive over to the pictures folder on my macbook, I got a message saying 'Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred. (Error code - 1426)' I've tried searching forums all over and I can't find anything that fits my exact problem. Any ideas?

Are you using Time Machine?

Cheers

LaurenLycnthrpy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
@ MacForScience - I honestly don't know much of anything about Time Machine. I don't believe so because I have no recollection of it, but at the same time, when I plug in my external hard drive it says Time Machine Back Up. Lol so I guess I am...

@ neko girl - It's not that I can't back things up, I already have them on my external hard drive.

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
@ MacForScience - I honestly don't know much of anything about Time Machine. I don't believe so because I have no recollection of it, but at the same time, when I plug in my external hard drive it says Time Machine Back Up. Lol so I guess I am...

@ neko girl - It's not that I can't back things up, I already have them on my external hard drive.

If you get info on your pictures folder at the bottom does your user have read/write permissions on the file?

Cheers

aricusmax

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2008
Don't just copy back - restore using time machine (and handling 1426 errors)

If you are using time machine properly you should be able to restore *all* your old files.

You shouldn't be trying to back up manually as Time Machine is so much better and simpler.

You should learn more about Time machine. If you can, get into an Apple Store and talk about it at the genius bar.

How to restore using time machine:

OSX 10.5
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/15638.html
OSX 10.6
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/15638.html

The 1426 error is a permissions error, probably because the Time Machine utility doesn't want anyone else to access the time machine files; this article by Neil Johnson at his blog http://njmac.blogspot.com/2008/11/move-time-machine-backups-to-new-volume.html solved my issues but might be a bit advanced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.