Error -3256???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by donniedarko, Jan 11, 2006.

1. donniedarko macrumors regular

I am trying to use the 'multiple speaker' feature with my Airtunes, only to yield a 'error -3256'.... would anyone know whats up?

Also I am running Airfoil, which does the same thing. I find some of the music sounds slow? Would that affect it?

I would like to try OE software and see if it provides better results...

TIA
    dd

2. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

If the problem is with AirFoil, I'd recommend posting on the Rogue Amoeba forums at www.rogueamoeba.com/forum/. I don't use AirFoil, but I use one of their other apps, Audio Hijack Pro, all the time and the Rogue Amoeba folks are very helpful with problems.

3. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

The problem is not with Airfoil. I try the same new option from Airtunes and I get the -3256 code.
    Can someone tell me what this code means. I am wondering if Airfoil might be interupting the airtunes.
    Thanks
    dd

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I get the same when I try to use the Computer and my AirPort as the two Multiple Speakers... And I don't have any Airfoil installed (that I know of).

5. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

According to Apple's Support forums, the problem is a firewall issue blocking UDP traffic. Here's a link.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, unless someone's got a better solution than to make a big hole in your firewall :eek:, I'll stick to listening to my music one place at the time, thank you very much... ;)

7. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

How do I do multiple speakers? When I click on my speaker options in iTunes it only shows my Computer and my Airport Express.

Am I missing a pref somewhere? Or, perhaps it does not work with older Airport Expresses (have they released more than one generation?)

8. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

It is for mutli room airtunes...

9. croshtique macrumors 6502

I think you need the latest version of iTunes and the latest Airport Express firmware update (which probably won't have appeared in Software update, well it didn't in mine!)

10. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

That did the trick! Thanks!!!

11. gsosa70 macrumors newbie

Still no luck :confused:

I have the same issue. Latest Airport Express firmware (6.3) and latest iTunes (7.4.2). According to the Apple support page, this was a problem in iTunes 6.0.x. Also, If I stream music to my airport express ONLY, it works perfectly fine. The problem is when I select the local computer AND the airport together (multiple speakers option). Any ideas?

Thanks.