Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteLion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
England
Hello , the other week I knocked my already temperamental dr bott lead that powers my Sony Bravia display , the screen went down , I had to do a hard shutdown several times as the screen wouldn't power back up , it eventually powered back up but when loading the question mark folder was flashing , after over a week at trying all different start up modes & disk repairs & reformatting's I finally did the apple hard ware test & this error code showed ??? My mac still boots up but is very slow & still once loaded operates not the way it should do , can somebody please help me solve this matter , thank you :)

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
Sounds like you have either a Hard Drive issue and/or an OS issue.
Since you forced shut down the machine it could have caused the drive and os to not function properly.
you can try repairing with disk utility or disk warrior....but in my opinion id opt to find a replacement drive and migrate your data over to that.

as long as you have a current back-up, you may also try a reinstall of the OS. If you are running Snow Leopard, Lion, or MT Lion it will keep your files intact usually.

WhiteLion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
England
Hello & thank you for your reply , much appreciated :)
I did do disk utility repair & repair permissions etc & that threw up certain error codes itself but also when I did again it said it was all ok , but it wasn't :( .... So I did the reinstall & now I've lost my data , stupidly didnt back it up & it's still as slow as a snail , could I just buy a new hdd or ssd & a copy of the latest o/s and just load that some how ? Or just use my snow leopard again ? Is it a simple task ? Sorry for so many questions :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.