Error connecting to wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kretzy, Feb 19, 2006.

1. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I've just moved into my aunty's place and I want to connect to the wireless network she has (to connect to the internet). AirPort recognises the network, but when I try to connect to it I get this message: "There was an error connecting to the AirPort network wlan". She uses her windows laptop on it all the time and I can connect to the internet via the ethernet cable but I'd really like the wireless to work. Is there something I have to do in the modem/router setup to allow me to connect?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What security do you have on it? Is it encrypted? Maybe read this article. :)

3. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

Nope, no security - my aunty said she hadn't set any up and I double checked in the modem config. There was however a section to do with Macs, but I wasn't really sure what to do with it.
    View attachment 41260

4. dcv macrumors G3

Ahhh ok, I think you're confusing MAC addresses with Macs!

From the screen-shot it looks as though only the listed MAC addresses will be permitted to access your auntie's network (because "Enable Access List" is checked). Presumably the one that is listed is your auntie's pc.

Every piece of networking hardware (including Windows PCs etc) will have a unique ID called a MAC address. I think you can find this if you go to System Profiler and look under Network.

Note down your MAC address, then you need to add this to the config panel - i.e. enter it into the input box shown on that screen shot, click add, then save your settings and reboot the router/access point.

*Hopefully* that'll do the trick

5. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

I feel stupid for getting that one confused! :eek:

dietcokevanilla you are a legend! It's working fine now. Being restricted by that cable was so annoying (I'm so used to wireless).

A thousand "thankyous". :) ;)

6. lawson01 macrumors newbie

Hi...

Hi, sorry to bother you but I'm kinda new to this and not the best at using macs and i know that this post is over 2yrs old.. but i just needed help because i am having the same problem, and i don't quite understand were to find the config panel that "dcv" was speaking about... because he refers to your attachment a lot in his post and your attachment has been deleted or something.. anyway the point is i don't know were to find the config panel on my iBook.. so if u can please help me by telling me where or how i can find the config panel on my iBook i would greatly appreciate it..(please write back ASAP, i really want the internet to work:()

Thank you very much.