error message of iMac G3 during Boot Up

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Harper, Jan 18, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

On the process of trying to install a new hard drive on a iMAC G3, I get the following error message on boot up. It's the first thing that shows up on the desplay.

At first I thought that it was not dedecting the new hard drive (Seagate 40Gb @ 7200 RPM), but when I installed the orginal drive (Western Digital 6Gb) back the, the same above error message continued to show.

The orginal Western Digital 6Gb still has a working copy of OS8.6 on it.

What is going on with this iMAC?
    How do I go about fixing it?

Also how does one go about upgrading the firm were? Will I be needing a USB Floppy Drive for this.

And finally, did there any way that I can check where or not a hard drive is MASTER or SLAVE with out having to manually open up the iMAC and physically looking at it.

2. macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Firmware must be updated before you install OS X
    You must do it from OS 9

You are royally screwed if you don't upgrade the firmware

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

:) GOOD NEWS :)
    I took the (what I think) is the BIOS battery out for about a 30 minutes. And after that I was able to get this Mac to boot up again.

And then after that, I installed the Seagate 40Gb Hard Drive (as a MASTER), and the OS X set up CD is detecting the new drive.

How do i go about doing that?

This Mac only has a CDRom.

[EDIT]I am currenlty at www.apple.com/support/downloads/ as so far the only firmware that I have been able to find is references to the G3 (Blue And White) The mac that I am installing OSX 10.3 is a Green and White. Will I still be needing a firmware, and where is it on apple's website?[/EDIT]