Error mounting drives on G5 OSX 10.3!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by NarKEd, Aug 4, 2004.

1. NarKEd macrumors member

Hello,
    I switched my old g4 with osx 10.2 for a new g5 with osx 10.3 some days ago, but now with this os im having weird problems I never had with my old machine:
    when I connect drives (ie: flash drive, external firewire hard drive, dvd disc, etc...) sometimes it does not mount on the desktop,but if i open a window I CAN see te drive in the left menu.. then some other times it does not mount on the desktop NOR in the left menu of the windows so the only way I can have acces to them is by choosing the Go menu -> Go to folder... -> /volumes. and then I have to use the disk utility to eject the drives to I can remove them safely.
    This is becoming EXTREMELY IRRITAING!

does anyone have a clue of whats happening???????

Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The first thing I'd try is making sure your filesystem is OK. Boot your Mac from the Panther install disc, then when it prompts you to choose a language, go to the menu bar and choose Open Disk Utility. Select your Mac OS X boot volume, and choose repair disk. If errors are found and fixed, recheck until no errors are found.
    The second thing I'd try is repairing permissions. Faulty permissions can cause all sorts of problems, including this one (if automount isn't accessible to you, but should be, for example). To do this, open Disk Utility, select your Mac OS X boot drive, and click the Repair Permissions button. You might as well do this while booted from the Panther CD.

3. rand() macrumors regular

How old did you say your G5 was?

If you just got it, I would double check that 10.3 is updated to the most current (10.3.4) as early Panthers had problems with external Firewire drives. I can't recall if those issues were similar to what you're describing, but the update definitely won't hurt.

Sorry if you've already done this, and I was just pointing out the obscenely obvious.

:) -rand()

4. NarKEd thread starter macrumors member

the machine is quite new, is a second generation dual 2ghz. Im sure it has the last os instaled because I run software update very frequently.
    Ill try repairing permisions and booting from the os disc to check if theres a problem.
    actually I have another weir problem when I restart my computer my mouse speed is super high and I have to go each time to control panel to move the slider and then leave it where it was fpr the mouse to get the actual speed is supposed to have. I think I got the problem since I uinstaled the drivers of the mouse (logitech i dont know the model but it has like 8 buttons) this problem did not happend in the g4 with osx 10.2. and I dont want to uninstall the drivers because then I cannot assign the tasks to the different buttons. maybe is because Im using two monitors now :confused:

5. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Check the Finder preferences. In 10.3 there are separate settings for what drives to show on the desktop and what to show on the window sidebar. So it is possible you have it set to show your firewire drive in one but not the other.

I have had bad luck with 3rd party mouse drivers myself. I installed the Microsoft mouse driver for my Intellimouse Explorer, and the mouse went super fast and unusable in some games, so ever since then I have just used the Apple driver, even though the settings aren't as advanced (extra buttons etc)

6. NarKEd thread starter macrumors member

That might be the problem...
    maybe Im a little blind but I cant find those options on the system preferences. where are they?

7. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

It's not in the system prefs, it is in the Finder's own preferences (accessible from one of the menus in the Finder, sorry can't remember which) There are a bunch of checkboxes and you just select what sorts of things to show on the desktop and what in the sidebar.