eSATA & FW 800

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by n0d3, Feb 1, 2007.

1. n0d3 macrumors regular

Ok, I'm a bit confused. The reviews/benchmarks I've read online place FW800 speeds close to eSATA speeds whereas some people say that eSATA>FW800 in terms of speed.

What I want to know is how much faster is eSATA over FW800 in a single drive (no RAID etc.) setup and is it worth getting eSATA over FW800 or is there no difference in both?

I'm going to get an eSATA ExpressCard 34 for my MacBook Pro so I'm contemplating on whether to get a eSATA one or a FW800 one as FW400 is not as fast as I want it to be.

2. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

Some info from Wiki: eSATA: 2400 Mbit/s compared to FW800: 786 Mbit/s.

The new LaCie Quadra drive states 1.5Gbit/s for eSATA and up to 800Mbit/s for FW800

3. n0d3 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea but thats theoretical right? I'm talking about real world performance. Anyone has any drives in a single eSata/FW800 setup to benchmark with?

4. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I assume that these specs, while maximums, are a good basis for comparison. Namely, that eSATA is quite a bit faster.
    Of course, it boils down to the speed of the drives you are transferring between - namely that you may not be able to make use of the eSATA's extra speed due to the limitations of your internal/external drives.