eSata into iMac/External Enclosure help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Philberttheduck, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Mar 15, 2006
    HB, CA
    Can anyone explain to me what eSata is and if it can connect to my intel iMac? It says I don't need a firewire/usb2.0 with an eSata but I'm afraid I don't have an adapter for it. 3GBs sounds unheard of.

Also, assuming I can't hook it up to my iMac, can anyone direct me to a good firewire enclosure with its compatible hardrive (preferably 250) in separate links? I'm looking at OfficeMax's deal on a 89.99 250GB Seagate and wondering if it would work in MacAlly (or any better ones)'s firewire enclosures.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    eSATA is External SATA. No current Mac ships with an eSATA port so you cannot connect an eSATA enclosure to a Mac. Note that the 3Gbps is a max speed: a single drive is not likely to be able to sustain this.
  3. allenhuffman macrumors newbie

Mar 10, 2004
    Using eSATA/SATA on a FireWire Mac

There are tons of solutions to plug SATA devices up via USB, but I have only found two that work with FireWire (so far). A $30 solution for one drive, and a $129 solution for two drives. Neither support Port Multiplier cases, so you can't get the $30 adapter and use it with a cheap 4-bay eSATA enclosure, alas.

For future reference (even though this post is years old), I link to my extensive post on this subject: has the $30 USB/FireWire400 to SATA device (and a $60 version that provides a second passthru FireWire port), and FirmTek has their SpyderHub (which they only make for their own enclosures, so it may not really work with others).