Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It's awesome, one of the best single origins I've ever had. It's really unique, it's got this smooth chocolate note but this fruity spice kick that others notice as well. It doesn't taste like your normal Brazilian.

On one of the forums I think I saw someone say they gets bags of this and one of his Ethiopian offerings and blend 50/50, that would pry be a simple yet damn good espresso blend thats balanced.

Thanks for the feedback, - it sounds delicious - and what an excellent idea to blend two different coffees. I do that myself occasionally, and am often surprised and delighted with the results.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I just went poking around at one of the links our dear friend @Kurwenal posted last week and found this Colombian batch and ordered it. It sounds similar to the batch from Blue Bottle I had back in February.

http://givcoffee.com/?page_id=698#cid=1046903

Thanks a lot; are these really worth taking a long, hard, look at? I'll have a think about it.
The coffee arrived yesterday, again, a day later than it should have thanks to the USPS. This company Givcoffee is much closer to me than Blue Bottle and yet, the USPS "Priority 2-day" service was "not-such-a-priority 3-day service" instead.

Anyway, The Colombian coffee smells terrific! However, the taste is less than I was expecting, primarily due to the acidity of it. It's a bit more acidic than I prefer and, to me, takes away from the taste and pleasure of drinking it. That's not to say it isn't enjoyable though, because it is.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The coffee arrived yesterday, again, a day later than it should have thanks to the USPS. This company Givcoffee is much closer to me than Blue Bottle and yet, the USPS "Priority 2-day" service was "not-such-a-priority 3-day service" instead.

Anyway, The Colombian coffee smells terrific! However, the taste is less than I was expecting, primarily due to the acidity of it. It's a bit more acidic than I prefer and, to me, takes away from the taste and pleasure of drinking it. That's not to say it isn't enjoyable though, because it is.

Interesting. I had wondered about Colombian coffee, because my memory has reminded me that - despite inviting and enticing stuff written on coffee packets and tine - I have never yet had a Colombian coffee that blew me away.

And yes, in common with your good self, @SandboxGeneral, I have come to realise that I prefer my coffee smooth, and easy, rather than sharp and acidic.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
The Ethiopian Coffee Company seem to have sourced several entirely new (to me, at least) Ethiopian coffees. When I am close to finishing my current order, I'll probably set about contacting them to discuss these new coffees.

Let us know what they are when you get them.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Let us know what they are when you get them.

Yes, I most certainly shall, when I next place an order. One of the things I like about this company is that - as they are London based - you can call them on the phone and discuss various micro-plots that grow (and produce) Ethiopian varietals. So, I shall phone and chat before placing an order.

As with any good company, (the sort I respect) they are fairly frank about their products. This means that when they recommend something (or suggest something on the basis because they know you like a specific product), you can take such recommendations seriously.

Anyway, today, I am sipping a lovely mug of 'Bokasso Sidamo' - a lovely Ethiopian coffee from the Ethiopian Coffee Company. An interesting thing about this coffee (and I had discovered this for myself before the company mentioned it) is that this coffee works equally well when made using a French Press, filter, stovetop or as an espresso.

A surprisingly rich, full, dense Ethiopian, on the palate, yet with the clean bright clear notes one has come to associate with Ethiopian coffees.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Been roasting some Yrga Cheffe Kela Kochore across several roast levels and doing a lot of pour-over again. Fabulous coffee, and it would go well in a FP at FC roast I'd think.

Sounds brilliant, and delicious (and yes, I read your link). My mouth is watering reading the description in the link you provided.

Does this come roasted, or are you expected to roast it yourself?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Sounds brilliant, and delicious (and yes, I read your link). My mouth is watering reading the description in the link you provided.

Does this come roasted, or are you expected to roast it yourself?

I'm sure someone sells it roasted, but alas SM's just sells it green. I suspect your contacts at the Ethiopian Coffee Company are a good place to inquire though...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Today, I opened another coffee from The Ethiopian Coffee Company. I like to have two opened at the same time. This one is a classic 'Yirgacheffe', and is an 'Aramo Yirgacheffe'.

All the usual adjectives for an Ethiopian coffee apply: Clean, clear, bright, light, (yet with depth of flavour), sweet and smooth, a lovely, easy cup of delicious coffee.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Overnight, (well, starting yesterday evening) I seem to have come down with a heavy head cold, with vaguely flu like symptoms - perspiring - (my glasses keep steaming up), aches, endlessly running nose, tiredness, and so on.

Strangely, this morning, I craved tea. The final, clinching sign…….so, what I am currently sipping is a mug (Le Creuset, as it happens) of organic natural Turkish apple tea.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Overnight, (well, starting yesterday evening) I seem to have come down with a heavy head cold, with vaguely flue like symptoms - perspiring - (my glasses keep steaming up), aches, endlessly running nose, tiredness, and so on.

Strangely, this morning, I craved tea. The final, clinching sign…….so, what I am currently sipping is a mug (Le Creuset, as it happens) of organic natural Turkish apple tea.
Oh no. I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling very well. Illness's stink through and through. It must be very rough this time if your glasses are fogging up.

You know the drill, drink plenty of water, along with tea, and get plenty of rest.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Oh no. I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling very well. Illness's stink through and through. It must be very rough this time if your glasses are fogging up.

You know the drill, drink plenty of water, along with tea, and get plenty of rest.

Thanks. You know, it is really rather embarrassing to post about drinking tea - tea! - in the espresso thread. But, when I lack any desire for, or craving for or even a wish for a cup of coffee, I know it is bad.

Last night, I found myself consuming litres of water; today looks like being a day of water, tea, and rest.

The pity of it is that I had been invited to a dinner in an excellent restaurant which I really like with two former colleagues, and will have to withdraw, as I just don't feel up to it.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
It's National Coffee Day today! Sounds like a U.S. thing, but let's make it a world thing. Happy World Coffee Day to my friends here!

Happy world coffee to all the great people in the espresso enthusiasts! I celebrated by making a carefully prepared french press this morning. I have my sights set on an afternoon coffee as well - all in the name of national coffee day!

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Let the National Coffee Day excitement continue!!

CoffeeDay.JPG

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hey, you're back! Are you feeling any better yet?

Lots of rest, fluids, tea, and a full bottle of something for aches/fever/nose and chest congestion and I am feeling very tired. Went to stay with the decent brother for a few days, and he treated me to meals out (and was stupefied when I had tea, no wine and plenty of soothing vegetarian curries, or fish dishes).

Had one espresso earlier today, which tasted good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.