Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Turkish green tea is surprisingly good green tea, (actually, all of the tea and coffee that I have ever had in Turkey was outstanding) and there were versions of green tea from some of the central Asian countries that were excellent.
Truthfully speaking, I've tasted hundreds of teas and purchased a lot, and can't say I've ever come across anything from Turkey that was worth drinking, except for a single black varietel. Azorean tea is nothing to write home about. I've had high end ceylon green and it was so-so. My issue with Chinese greens is that they're more earthy in flavor and dominate the palette. Japanese greens tend to have a variance in flavor and have a sweet "aftertaste" due to saliva being secreted.

Turkey does have high quality linden flower. Which is fantastic for chest colds. I do like bold flavors though. So if offered a first flush green from Japan vs a quality lapsang souchong from China, I'd go with the latter each time. The smokiness brings back memories of going camping as a child.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Truthfully speaking, I've tasted hundreds of teas and purchased a lot, and can't say I've ever come across anything from Turkey that was worth drinking, except for a single black varietel. Azorean tea is nothing to write home about. I've had high end ceylon green and it was so-so. My issue with Chinese greens is that they're more earthy in flavor and dominate the palette. Japanese greens tend to have a variance in flavor and have a sweet "aftertaste" due to saliva being secreted.

Turkey does have high quality linden flower. Which is fantastic for chest colds.

What about teas from India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan? I have found some of those to have been astonishingly good.

And yes, writing as someone who genuinely does not really much like tea (and drinks little of it), I have to say that I found the tea I had in Turkey to have been astonishingly good. Not just the ordinary black tea, but the apple teas, and other flavoured teas (as long as they were the natural, and not the chemical) variety.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Just India and Pakistan. To my knowledge, the Afghans and Pakistanis much prefer green tea steeped in a Russian style form, to the point where it'll resemble a light ceylon black. They'll also inundate it with aromatic spices. Different from the maghreb style of adding mint and 1;1 ratio of sugar and pinhead green. Afghan tea and food culture is very much like its close relative, Iran. Though the Afghans are more versatile in using various essences, spices, nuts and dried fruits in their food and drink. There are at least 100 different rice dishes in Afghan food culture that's unique to the country. Kyrgyzstan's tea exports go mainly to neighboring countries. Though I've never heard of fine teas coming out of the Azores, Turkey or Kyrgyzstan for that matter. It's a generic black tea unless it's flavored with essences or fruit pieces. Even the worst ceylons and assams will outperform anything they'll produce. The Russians do a fragrant blend called Tsar Nicolai, IIRC.

Though there is very poor quality assam that's bought up by Lipton and various UK brands such as Tetley and I believe Ty-Phoo for mass market use, mainly for the famed "builder's tea."

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just India and Pakistan. To my knowledge, the Afghans and Pakistanis much prefer green tea steeped in a Russian style form, to the point where it'll resemble a light ceylon black. They'll also inundate it with aromatic spices. Different from the maghreb style of adding mint and 1;1 ratio of sugar and pinhead green. Afghan tea and food culture is very much like its close relative, Iran. Though the Afghans are more versatile in using various essences, spices, nuts and dried fruits in their food and drink. There are at least 100 different rice dishes in Afghan food culture that's unique to the country. Kyrgyzstan's tea exports go mainly to neighboring countries. Though I've never heard of fine teas coming out of the Azores, Turkey or Kyrgyzstan for that matter. It's a generic black tea unless it's flavored with essences or fruit pieces. Even the worst ceylons and assams will outperform anything they'll produce. The Russians do a fragrant blend called Tsar Nicolai, IIRC.

Though there is very poor quality assam that's bought up buy Lipton and various UK brands such as Tetley and I believe Ty-Phoo for mass market use, mainly for the famed "builder's tea."

My sense of Afghan food culture and cuisine was that it was strongly influenced by both Iran, and by some historic Indian (which includes Pakistani) culinary influences.

I have had some astonishingly good teas in Kyrgyzstan, which surprised me, and I must say that I grew to love some of the spiced teas of central Asia.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've had my Blue Bottle subscription on hold for a little while now. Yesterday, I resumed it and choose to go from SO to blends for the time being.

They will be doing a roast on Monday and I'm looking forward to seeing what delightful beans they'll soon be sending me.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I've had my Blue Bottle subscription on hold for a little while now. Yesterday, I resumed it and choose to go from SO to blends for the time being.

They will be doing a roast on Monday and I'm looking forward to seeing what delightful beans they'll soon be sending me.

So, what are 'SO' (I assume, single origin?) beans? What blends have you ordered?

Hope you get them quickly and that you enjoy them.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Right, SO = single origins.

I have no idea what blends will be coming. That's the surprise of Blue Bottle; they do something different every time.

Ah, fascinating.

Thanks for clearing up the the meaning of the acronym SO in this context - you come across so many acronyms these days, it is always a good idea to make quite certain of what is meant.

Will they be sending you one articular blend, or a number of blends?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm on a subscription plan of a 6 oz bag once every four weeks. I can change and update it at any time too.

Thus, the blends they offer also change every four to six weeks?

I have been debating doing that, but, last year and the previous ear, when I was abroad so much, I felt it wasn't worth while. Now, with a phone to hand, I can order what I need when I need it. Still, a subscription can be quite tempting.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesMike

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
On coffee? What have you been drinking?
Coffee and black tea. And several bottles of red varietels. Brings on minor gamut of issues, names stomach flu like feelings. I got a little nuts on Thanksgiving and the day following. :(

But I did pick up some Yirgacheffe today! I made a nice press of some and then fell asleep. I had a very, very interesting dream over my 2 hour nap. I was watching this old black and white film on Hollywood in the dream and the studio behind the film within the film, was being investigated by the Pinkerton Agency via inside agents and saboteurs. The funny thing is that while I'm aware of the Pinkerton Agency and their history, this is one field they never delved into and the last time their name came up in anything I've watched was... Well let's just say I probably haven't seen the name come up since before 2000. And at the end of the film, it described the differences between the Pinkertons in the movie and the real ones. The closing credit had one man and many women wearing this strange mask that looked like a dog mask on low poly shape with some curvature on the nose bit.

Zorba

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2009
Belgium
Anyway, the menu mentioned a thing called 'chai latte' and what it described as a 'dirty chai latte'. I had never heard of either, and had to request supplementary information from the charming young waiter (yes, real table service, bliss….) In any case, it transpired that the latter was some sort of chai latte with a double shot of espresso. Curiosity compelled me to try it out, as I had loved the spiced teas of central Asia. This was sublime - a perfect winter drink - and one that didn't even require sugar.

I also had my first Chai Tea Latte at Starbucks (I know) a week or two ago, I was immediately hooked. I was also very glad I had a more healthy alternative to our current Pumpkin Spice or alikes, until I saw on the ingredient list how much sugar they put in the Chai Latte :-/ Crazy.

I'll try another coffee store and hopefully they will not as many sugar. Or I'll make one at home.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Coffee and black tea. And several bottles of red varietels. Brings on minor gamut of issues, names stomach flu like feelings. I got a little nuts on Thanksgiving and the day following. :(

But I did pick up some Yirgacheffe today! I made a nice press of some and then fell asleep. I had a very, very interesting dream over my 2 hour nap. I was watching this old black and white film on Hollywood in the dream and the studio behind the film within the film, was being investigated by the Pinkerton Agency via inside agents and saboteurs. The funny thing is that while I'm aware of the Pinkerton Agency and their history, this is one field they never delved into and the last time their name came up in anything I've watched was... Well let's just say I probably haven't seen the name come up since before 2000. And at the end of the film, it described the differences between the Pinkertons in the movie and the real ones. The closing credit had one man and many women wearing this strange mask that looked like a dog mask on low poly shape with some curvature on the nose bit.

Yes, dreams can be bewildering in their downright strangeness.

Enjoy the Yirgacheffe.

I also had my first Chai Tea Latte at Starbucks (I know) a week or two ago, I was immediately hooked. I was also very glad I had a more healthy alternative to our current Pumpkin Spice or alikes, until I saw on the ingredient list how much sugar they put in the Chai Latte :-/ Crazy.

I'll try another coffee store and hopefully they will not as many sugar. Or I'll make one at home.

Well, I was impressed enough to view it as an occasional, potential winter afternoon drink.

Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Thank you. It's lovely coffee!

I think you would be better off visiting an herbs and spices store, buying the spices needed for a masala chai and doing it yourself. You'd want to find a decent Assam CTC, but regular leaf would be fine too.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thank you. It's lovely coffee!

I think you would be better off visiting an herbs and spices store, buying the spices needed for a masala chai and doing it yourself. You'd want to find a decent Assam CTC, but regular leaf would be fine too.

Just as there are certain dishes I would never try to cook at home - even though I'm a fairly accomplished chef - as I enjoy treating myself when I am out, dirty chai latte will probably fall into that category.

There are certain things I like to have when I am out - as a sort of treat.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Just as there are certain dishes I would never try to cook at home - even though I'm a fairly accomplished chef - as I enjoy treating myself when I am out, dirty chai latte will probably fall into that category.

There are certain things I like to have when I am out - as a sort of treat.
Good choice. I wasn't going to warn you how it's a bloody mess to clean it all up afterward. Too much effort for so little ROI. I have a very short list of dishes that we wouldn't bother making simply because it takes far too much effort for so little return.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Good choice. I wasn't going to warn you how it's a bloody mess to clean it all up afterward. Too much effort for so little ROI. I have a very short list of dishes that we wouldn't bother making simply because it takes far too much effort for so little return.

Well, to be honest, I'll give it a miss, as I far prefer having a few nice things in store for when I head out.

Three Ethiopian coffee beans made up my morning coffee this morning, and very tasty they were too.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Don't understand. You ground up three beans worth or three varieties of Ethiopian beans?

Three separate varieties of Ethiopian beans. In essence, two different ones from the Yirgacheffe region and one Sidamo (Bokassa).

Actually, I have more, (varieties of beans, that is, still in sealed packets, I might yet experiment with four different coffees) but - for now - I seem to be sadly constrained by the number of tins I currently have!

Until recently, I would simply drink my way through the contents of one packet at a time.

However, in recent weeks, I have taken to mixing a few packets simultaneously. This started as a way of disguising a highly recommended Kenyan that I hadn't much cared for, - as a way of toning it down - starting with one type of Ethiopian, then adding a second, to experiment further - but I found myself enjoying it so much that I have decided to continue with these experiments.

On the mornings when I have time, I must say that I enjoy the whole thing, and my OE Lido manual grinder is well up to the task of handling the beans.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The order from Blue Bottle arrived today, and on time for once.

It tastes wonderful!
image.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sipping a lovely cup (one of a number) of Ethiopian coffee this morning. As I was in the mood for more than one cup, I made a pot.

With three lovely types of Ethiopian beans (Yirgacheffe, and two from the Sidamo region, Nefas Farm, and Shakiso).

The clean, clear, bright, sweet notes that I have come to expect from Ethiopian coffees clearly predominate.

Reactions: mobilehaathi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.