Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just made a pot (Le Creuset) of freshly ground Ethiopian coffee. Yum.

The stand in carer who comes by for several hours a few days a week has become a recent convert to the joys of real coffee, - (to the extent that she has asked her daughter to get her a Le Creuset French Press for this coming Christmas, to the daughter's delight, as she usually finds it difficult to get a present that the mother would like, and, moreover, - as the carer carefully explained to me - she, as the mother usually doesn't really want anything, anyway,) and loves it when I make her a mug, and was an absorbed and attentive student when I gave a demonstration on how to make coffee using this method.

So, sipping a lovely mug (Le Creuset, naturally) of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee.

Last edited:
Reactions: mobilehaathi

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Its been a while since I posted here. Haven't been drinking any coffee or tea for a while. I've just about weened myself from stimulants altogether. I wasn't trying to, but it just kind of happened as I started my fitness journey. Making a morning cup of joe just slowly fell off as I opted for water and aminos before going to the gym.

I still have a cup once in a while and actually had one for the first time in months this morning. Then Blue Bottle sent out an email today for a special offering and I placed an order for a 6oz bag.

Peru Jose Carhuachinchay
Vanilla, cocoa, balanced

Overview
Peruvian farmers have grown coffee since the 1700s. The dramatic mountains framing lush valleys were surely as breathtaking then as they are now. But the steep terrain requires farmers, who grow coffee in remote places, to go by foot or mule to the weekend market. Such a journey has become easier with cooperatives, like CENTROCAFE, from which this coffee comes. Grown by one farmer, Jose Carhuachinchay, this refined cup is soft and sweet, with subtle nuances for those who seek them. The floor of the Andean Valley, tiled with rice paddies, becomes a mosaic of gleaming mirrors in the afternoon light. When night falls, stars take over the sparkling. With cocoa, vanilla, and streaks of radiant cherry, the Carhuachinchay finds a sublime equinoctial balance—equal parts day and night.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Tried two new Ethiopian coffees this morning, - in a slightly spontaneous blend of my own - and had fun grinding the beans and preparing the coffee in my Le Creuset pot.

They are 'Seka Forest' Ethiopia (described as a 'natural'), and 'Adado' - a Yirgacheffe (washed heirloom variety).

The usual bright, clean, clear, (emphatically non-'muddy') taste, characteristic of Ethiopian coffee, predominates. Delicious.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
SS you are as constant as the Northern Star.....

Thank you.

Yes, indeed: Ever since I discovered the inexpressible joys of savouring, sipping and sampling Ethiopian coffee (preferably Yirgacheffe, though I am open to experimenting and trying out others), - and, I believe, that you, my good friend, @Kurwenal, may have pointed me in this very direction some few years ago, - nothing else has come close. Ever.

Reactions: JamesMike

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Thank you.

Yes, indeed: Ever since I discovered the inexpressible joys of savouring, sipping and sampling Ethiopian coffee (preferably Yirgacheffe, though I am open to experimenting and trying out others), - and, I believe, that you, my good friend, @Kurwenal, may have pointed me in this very direction some few years ago, - nothing else has come close. Ever.

Folgers has some new Ethiopian blend single pods out. Have you tried them?
[doublepost=1461723478][/doublepost]
Although hopefully she isn't about to be assassinated. :D

You have a memory like an elephant....

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
As do you. I don't think SS would enjoy Folger's much less use it in her composting bin.

@Scepticalscribe I must admit I have little recollection as to why I asked you about the fat cap, but notes I'd jotted down last week leave me thinking I was talking about a beef roast prior to, well, roasting it. I've always done a trim of fat, scored fresh fat and rubbed it with sea salt flakes, spices and aromatic herbs. Half the fat will render while cooking leaving a lot of flavor and the crisp scored fat section.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Although hopefully she isn't about to be assassinated. :D

Hm, yes.

These days, assassination might only occur in the private space, or sphere, (and is all the more exquisitely painful for that).

Personally, I am more partial to the public space and sphere for such things…...

Folgers has some new Ethiopian blend single pods out. Have you tried them?

Er, no.

As do you. I don't think SS would enjoy Folger's much less use it in her composting bin.

Pretty much my thoughts, too. The only reason a small jar of instant coffee darkens a cupboard and I suffer its existence there are the warring emotions of Love-Duty and Good Taste-Coffee Snobbery.

My brother - whom I love - occasionally likes the convenience that horrid instant allows; I endure its existence in my cupboard purely for that reason……

@Scepticalscribe I must admit I have little recollection as to why I asked you about the fat cap, but notes I'd jotted down last week leave me thinking I was talking about a beef roast prior to, well, roasting it. I've always done a trim of fat, scored fresh fat and rubbed it with sea salt flakes, spices and aromatic herbs. Half the fat will render while cooking leaving a lot of flavor and the crisp scored fat section.

To be honest, I haven't prepared a roast beef in ages - and like it cooked rare, very rare - if I can persuade those to whom I am to serve it to try it cooked thus; thus, the beef itself is aged, and reared in an organic farm where they raise and slaughter the animals (and birds) themselves; the quality is superb.

Thus, the 'fat cap' is rarely scored, and I use the herbs (thyme, rosemary) and other additions (lots of garlic) with the roast potatoes instead. Good quality horse radish, is a useful accompaniment, too.

Roast potatoes, a fresh green salad, and a nice, elegant but robust red, soft and supple yet with sufficient depth to handle a roast beef - say, a Chateauneuf-du-Pape, would be served with it.

For the 'fat cap', I do pay heed to it for pork, or bacon, because it will reward the cook if you take your time to try something interesting.

Reactions: Kurwenal

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Come on...it's not that bad. Take a walk on the wide side.

This morning: double ristretto, SM Moka Kadir roasted on Sunday....it was ok, not spectacular. Yet, the day moves on.

Ah, yes, but I do well recall many of the remarks proffered in a pained tone on this very thread in its more youthful days on the very topic of Folgers.

And, as for getting in touch with my wild side: Well, I have yet to take the plunge on a Chemex……...

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Ah, yes, but I do well recall many of the remarks proffered in a pained tone on this very thread in its more youthful days on the very topic of Folgers.

And, as for getting in touch with my wild side: Well, I have yet to take the plunge on a Chemex……...

Ah, yes, I recall you were considering going nuts with a Chemex, well, before.

Probably not for your morning cup....but early evening...Chemex with something nice from Huehuetenango....you would be a new person (not that we want that...).

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Happy Orthodox Easter! After going to the midnight service at the Russian Orthodox Church here (I'm of Greek origin but the Greek church is too far outside Geneva city for someone without a car) decided to treat myself this morning with a different coffee at my fave local coffeeshop. A drip coffee made with this Peruvian (http://www.borealcoffee.ch/shop/espresso/permata-gayo-sumatra-clone-en/) and then I tired the same with the aeropress method.

Drip:
http://www.borealcoffee.ch/jebrew/#jebrew-content-1

Aeropress:
http://www.borealcoffee.ch/jebrew/#jebrew-content-3

Great start to this Easter Mayday.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Happy Orthodox Easter! After going to the midnight service at the Russian Orthodox Church here (I'm of Greek origin but the Greek church is too far outside Geneva city for someone without a car) decided to treat myself this morning with a different coffee at my fave local coffeeshop. A drip coffee made with this Peruvian (http://www.borealcoffee.ch/shop/espresso/permata-gayo-sumatra-clone-en/) and then I tired the same with the aeropress method.

Drip:
http://www.borealcoffee.ch/jebrew/#jebrew-content-1

Aeropress:
http://www.borealcoffee.ch/jebrew/#jebrew-content-3

Great start to this Easter Mayday.

Hope you enjoyed your Peruvian coffee and the celebration of the Orthodox Easter.

This morning, my brother is home, and I made a pot (Le Creuset) of coffee (a blend of two Ethiopian coffees which I had fun grinding in my OE Lido manual grinder).

So, breakfast was coffee, and fresh citrus fruit juice which preceded the coffee (two blood oranges each - the blood oranges, which I adore, are coming to the end of their season - half a grapefruit and a lemon in each glass).

To eat, we had proper butcher's bacon rashers - from pigs raised, reared and slaughtered by the meat stall in the farmers' market, the sort of bacon where the bacon rasher holds its shape and flavour, none of that horrid oozing slime you so often see with commercial stuff - and organic, free range eggs, which I fried in olive oil, and had bought yesterday from the superb German organic vegetable and fruit famers who also have their own hens, and some strange knack of looking after hens so that their eggs are of a consistently strange exquisite excellence.

Reactions: decafjava

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Ah, yes, I recall you were considering going nuts with a Chemex, well, before.

Probably not for your morning cup....but early evening...Chemex with something nice from Huehuetenango....you would be a new person (not that we want that...).

Ahh man, you are endlessly versed in the world of coffee. It'll take me some time still (and something to perturb me out of my holding pattern of Ethiopians) to get familiarized with the rest of the coffee locations. I take it you recommend coffees from around Huehuetenango, Guatemala? Particularly for chemex and possibly pour over?

I've been working my way through a nice 8lbs Ethiopian sampler from SMs, exploring various SO espressos (and pour overs). Maybe I'll mix in a few lbs of another region on my next order...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ahh man, you are endlessly versed in the world of coffee. It'll take me some time still (and something to perturb me out of my holding pattern of Ethiopians) to get familiarized with the rest of the coffee locations. I take it you recommend coffees from around Huehuetenango, Guatemala? Particularly for chemex and possibly pour over?

I've been working my way through a nice 8lbs Ethiopian sampler from SMs, exploring various SO espressos (and pour overs). Maybe I'll mix in a few lbs of another region on my next order...

Yes, I am more than familiar with the idea of 'a holding pattern of Ethiopians'; my problem is - for now - I like the Ethiopian so much - those lovely clear, clean bright tasting notes that I am not entirely certain that I even wish to be 'perturbed' out of my Ethiopian holding pattern.

Lovely elegant phrasing, @mobilehaathi - and yes, I think @Kurwenal is largely to blame/thank (delete as appropriate)for my introduction to Ethiopian coffee.

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Happy Orthodox Easter!

Same to you!

we had proper butcher's bacon rashers

Rasher...it's just one of those awesome words that doesn't get enough use. Rasher.....rasher....rasher of this, rasher of that.

Oh yah, definitely recommend. Unless you use a non-standard filter, the Chemex removes some of the oils....so the best word for the cup is balanced. Doing this just clicks with some coffees....others, not so much. When I use the Chemex (which I still do, a lot), I consider the roast first, then the coffee source. Try a very dark roast...you might like it more than you expect, since the removal of some of the oils means the coffee should not be bitter. But, oddly, I prefer a lighter roast in the Chemex...it produces a taste I cannot get in any other way. (But as I get older, my tastes have moved more to lighter roasts.)

As for the coffee, the Chemex brings out the smokey flavors that Guatemalan is famous for. Not bitter, just smokey....sort of like a really good Scotch. I swear you can taste peat sometimes in the damn cup.

Actually, that Peruvian that was mentioned above woudl be a good choice as well, but I would go darker roast with a Peruvian, so you get the combination of nutty/chocolate + citrus that (good) Peruvians are famous for.

Yes, I am more than familiar with the idea of 'a holding pattern of Ethiopians'; my problem is - for now - I like the Ethiopian so much - those lovely clear, clean bright tasting notes that I am not entirely certain that I even wish to be 'perturbed' out of my Ethiopian holding pattern.

Lovely elegant phrasing, @mobilehaathi - and yes, I think @Kurwenal is largely to blame/thank (delete as appropriate)for my introduction to Ethiopian coffee.

Why mess with perfection?

or:

Variety is the spice of life.

Only you can decide, Oh Skeptical One.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Same to you!

Rasher...it's just one of those awesome words that doesn't get enough use. Rasher.....rasher....rasher of this, rasher of that.

Oh yah, definitely recommend. Unless you use a non-standard filter, the Chemex removes some of the oils....so the best word for the cup is balanced. Doing this just clicks with some coffees....others, not so much. When I use the Chemex (which I still do, a lot), I consider the roast first, then the coffee source. Try a very dark roast...you might like it more than you expect, since the removal of some of the oils means the coffee should not be bitter. But, oddly, I prefer a lighter roast in the Chemex...it produces a taste I cannot get in any other way. (But as I get older, my tastes have moved more to lighter roasts.)

As for the coffee, the Chemex brings out the smokey flavors that Guatemalan is famous for. Not bitter, just smokey....sort of like a really good Scotch. I swear you can taste peat sometimes in the damn cup.

Actually, that Peruvian that was mentioned above woudl be a good choice as well, but I would go darker roast with a Peruvian, so you get the combination of nutty/chocolate + citrus that (good) Peruvians are famous for.

Why mess with perfection?

or:

Variety is the spice of life.

Only you can decide, Oh Skeptical One.

Great advice and suggestions on how a Chemex can influence how a coffee tastes.

Re Ethiopian coffees, agreed. Why mess with perfection? And, any time I try to break out of my Ethiopian holding pattern, I find nothing else compares - even remotely - to what the Ethiopians offer.

And, as for 'rasher', agreed, a lovely descriptive word. Actually, I think it may have been a casualty of a sort of linguistic snobbery, betraying, as it does, its functional and artisan roots……...

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
So, - dodgy group gasket aside - the GS/3 is still going strong? Excellent news. I am delighted to hear it.

Any thoughts on the La Marzocco Linea Mini?

Oh yes. The GS/3 is truly wondrous. I have spent a great deal of time building my system around it. The GS/3, paired with a Compak F10 grinder (sorry Shrink....), the L/M 17mm basket, SM's Moka Kadir roasted using my "SR2" profile, I can make a nearly perfect double ristretto every morning....80% cup every time, and occasionally above that. I finally have coffee nirvana...I just make the cup and I don't have to worry about it.

I have not used a Linea, but (as I am sure you have seen) it gets very good reviews.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Oh yes. The GS/3 is truly wondrous. I have spent a great deal of time building my system around it. The GS/3, paired with a Compak F10 grinder (sorry Shrink....), the L/M 17mm basket, SM's Moka Kadir roasted using my "SR2" profile, I can make a nearly perfect double ristretto every morning....80% cup every time, and occasionally above that. I finally have coffee nirvana...I just make the cup and I don't have to worry about it.

I have not used a Linea, but (as I am sure you have seen) it gets very good reviews.

Coffee nirvana? At last? After all those years of exploration and discovery? Excellent.

Actually, I am impressed - and delighted - that the GS/3 still plays a significant role in your coffee preparations, and meets your (exacting and quite precise and specific) coffee & espresso needs.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

Excellent advice. And smokey like a nice scotch, eh? This is most appealing. Hmmmm, duly noted for my next order.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It is getting harder to find good Ethiopian coffee (I suspect that the season may be coming to an end….), and the Ethiopian coffee that is in my tins is rapidly running out.

Time, methinks, to get in touch with the Ethiopian Coffee Company, in London.

Although, as I write, I am sipping a cup of Ethiopian coffee…...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.