Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I, too, must admit to being repelled by the idea of putting butter into anything that I drink.

And, yes, that includes hot buttered rum.

May I say, as politely and in as deferential manner as possible...YECH!

But that's just one man's opinion.;)
Hey there cranky butt, I just found a newspaper article about you!

image.jpeg

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Hey there cranky butt, I just found a newspaper article about you!

View attachment 646933

Damn...there's a frightening physical resemblance there.

So a simple, polite, elegantly phrased difference of taste earns the sobriquet "cranky pants".

Granted, I am a mean spirited, misanthropic, foul tempered, and uncongenial old geezer...but "cranky pants"!? I think that might be one step over the line!:mad:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Damn...there's a frightening physical resemblance there.

So a simple, polite, elegantly phrased difference of taste earns the sobriquet "cranky pants".

Granted, I am a mean spirited, misanthropic, foul tempered, and uncongenial old geezer...but "cranky pants"!? I think that might be one step over the line!:mad:

Curmudgeon is my favourite expression for this state of mind, @Shrink, curmudgeon.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Have a trip to London, week after next and would appreciate any recommendations of places where to buy some fresh beans? Also, @Scepticalscribe (especially) details of one of those nice pen shops you've mentioned in another thread? Thanks.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The one that I remember visiting had been recommended to me by the wonderful @Kurwenal who sometimes frequents these threads, or, more to the point, has frequented this very thread, as he is another who is passionate about his coffee.

The shop - a gorgeous high end place, is called "The Pen Shop" and it can be found in Piccadilly Arcade, or, rather, that is where it was when I paid it a visit two years ago.

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Lots of good advice going on here today. I have the Expobar warming up for my afternoon cup and I have all my tools out and ready for use in making a splendid cup.
View attachment 646970

Yeow!

Don't even joke about ruining a beautiful cup of espresso.:(

Curmudgeon is my favourite expression for this state of mind, @Shrink, curmudgeon.

I can live with curmudgeon...but "cranky pants" is an insult.

(Accurate...but insulting.)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yeow!

Don't even joke about ruining a beautiful cup of espresso.:(

I can live with curmudgeon...but "cranky pants" is an insult.

(Accurate...but insulting.)

Curmudgeon is a compliment. If a slightly unusual one.

I know well that of which I speak (or write). That is because I am something of a curmudgeon, myself.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Lots of good advice going on here today. I have the Expobar warming up for my afternoon cup and I have all my tools out and ready for use in making a splendid cup.
View attachment 646970

Hm.

Let us see the finished product, irrespective of whether dollops of butter have been added.......

But, nevertheless, I hope that you enjoy the experience of using the Expobar and sipping your scrumptious espresso from that quite exquisite Intelligentsia espresso cup.........

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Well @Scepticalscribe I called an audible at the last minute and decided to not use the fake butter I posted a photo of and I also chose to use the fancy schmancy orangy schmorngy cup instead ( @Shrink ;) ).

Actually, as lovely and pleasing to the eyes as the Intelligentsia cup is, I'm not a fan of the handle so much. It's larger and more sharply angled on the top of the handle as opposed to the more slender, forgiving bottom half. It actually makes for holding the cup slightly unpleasant and mindful of potentially slipping out of the hand. The Le Cresuet cup is a delight to hold and fits more pleasantly in my hand providing stability and a sense of control over it.

The extra close up photo makes the 2.5 oz (60 ml) cup look huge!

2016-08-27 16.01.15-1.jpg

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well @Scepticalscribe I called an audible at the last minute and decided to not use the fake butter I posted a photo of and I also chose to use the fancy schmancy orangy schmorngy cup instead ( @Shrink ;) ).

Actually, as lovely and pleasing to the eyes as the Intelligentsia cup is, I'm not a fan of the handle so much. It's larger and more sharply angled on the top of the handle as opposed to the more slender, forgiving bottom half is. It actually makes for holding the cup slightly unpleasant and mindful of potentially slipping out of the hand. The Le Cresuet cup is a delight to hold and fits more pleasantly in my hand providing stability and a sense of control over it.

The extra close up photo makes the 2.5 oz (60 ml) cup look huge!

View attachment 646975

Fascinating feedback about the (gorgeous looking) Intelligentsia cup; and useful to know, as I was debating purchasing one myself on my return home in over a month's time.

Well, what can I say? Le Creuset makes fantastic stuff, stuff which is designed to be used (and, which, yes, comes with an attractive and handsome appearance, too).

Enjoy your espresso (butter less, though it is...)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Fascinating feedback about the (gorgeous looking) Intelligentsia cup; and useful to know, as I was debating purchasing one myself on my return home in over a month's time.

Well, what can I say? Le Creuset makes fantastic stuff, stuff which is designed to be used (and, which, yes, comes with an attractive and handsome appearance, too).

Enjoy your espresso (butter less, though it is...)
Don't let my critique of the handle stop you from purchasing the cup, if you really want it of course. I'm not going to stop using it altogether and plan on alternating its use with the Le Cresuet, much like I alternate the beans I'll use on a daily basis. Its just that, the handle was something I noticed and am cognizant of how it feels when holding it, giving preference to the Le Cresuet instead.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Don't let my critique of the handle stop you from purchasing the cup, if you really want it of course. I'm not going to stop using it altogether and plan on alternating its use with the Le Cresuet, much like I alternate the beans I'll use on a daily basis. Its just that, the handle was something I noticed and am cognizant of how it feels when holding it, giving preference to the Le Cresuet instead.

If I purchase it, I may order some Intelligentsia coffee at the same time, assuming that they still have Ethiopian and one or two others that are of interest to me.

Your comments are interesting, though. And remind me of something.

Five years ago now, when my favourite Italian coffee shop closed down - a casualty of the recession - I offered to buy some of their crockery - it was all in a gorgeous rustic Italian style (they had absolutely lovely dinner plates, and three beautiful bowls we use daily); their stunning coffee cups, and quite extraordinarily exquisitely beautiful espresso cups (and saucers) were made by the superb Italian company d'Ancap.

I bought several, - of both the espresso cups, (and matching saucers) and their coffee cups (and matching saucers) - and they are absolutely gorgeous. But, as you say, the handles are less easily handled - or held - than are the more rustic - but more functional stuff made by Le Creuset, which are designed to look really good but also to be used (easily) on a daily basis.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
If I purchase it, I may order some Intelligentsia coffee at the same time, assuming that they still have Ethiopian and one or two others that are of interest to me.

Your comments are interesting, though. And remind me of something.

Five years ago now, when my favourite Italian coffee shop closed down - a casualty of the recession - I offered to buy some of their crockery - it was all in a gorgeous rustic Italian style (they had absolutely lovely dinner plates, and three beautiful bowls we use daily); their stunning coffee cups, and extraordinarily exquisite espresso cups (and saucers) were made by the superb Italian company d'Ancap.

I bought several, - of both the espresso cups, (and matching saucers) and their coffee cups - and they are absolutely gorgeous. But, as you say, the handles are less easily handled than are the more rustic - but more functional stuff made by Le Creuset, which are designed to look good but also to be used on a daily basis.
I believe I recall that story. I find it fascinating that the whole craft and art of espresso, and coffee, making isn't quite complete unless you also take note of and enjoy the glassware (stoneware et al) of the experience - at least to me anyhow. For as short lived as an espresso's enjoyment is, all 60 ml of it, the experience of it is just wonderful from the preparation to cups that hold the end product.

After I first received the Intelligentsia cup I noticed that it was a little bigger than the Le Cresuet cup, both in depth and width. Using the Rattleware espresso measuring glass, with handy pouring spouts on either side, that our friend @Kurwenal whom I hope is doing well - as we all that know him hope he is doing well - recommended to me some time ago, I measured the volume of each cup.

The Le Cresuet I previously knew was 60 ml (2.5 oz) when filled to the brim. At that amount, it is the rather typical amount for a doppio (@Shrink ;) ). The Intelligentsia cup measures a volume of about 80 ml at the brim. Once I filled it with 60 ml of water I was able to get an eyeball sense of how far to extract the espresso into the cup to get the proper amount.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
As there is a discussion of the coffee cup ongoing I thought it was incumbent upon me to comment on my own cup. My comments will be, as always, a description of the ineluctable facts of the situation, presented with elegance and precision… as is my wont.

Measuring in the vertical plane of the upper extremity of the handle I find to be 1MM too short. This grotesquely inexcusable design flaw makes resting my well manicured thumb comfortably somewhat difficult.

Now, measuring the handle in the vertical plane I find it to be three microns longer than perfect, allowing a bit too much distance to occur between my well manicured index, middle, and ring finger for perfect comfort...always my need.

Finally the slope of the bottom of the handle as it intersects with the cup is four nano meters off the proper angle. Really an unacceptable error in production. A nano meter here, a nano meter there, next thing you know and it's two nano meters.

Clearly the problems with this cup represents an horrid design and production monstrosity.

Quite clearly it will be necessary, in the future, to have all of my cups custom made.

I am currently considering the color…orangey shmorangey comes to mind.

Thank you for your attention.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
As there is a discussion of the coffee cup ongoing I thought it was incumbent upon me to comment on my own cup. My comments will be, as always, a description of the ineluctable facts of the situation, presented with elegance and precision… as is my wont.

Measuring in the vertical plane of the upper extremity of the handle I find to be 1MM too short. This grotesquely inexcusable design flaw makes resting my well manicured thumb comfortably somewhat difficult.

Now, measuring the handle in the vertical plane I find it to be three microns longer than perfect, allowing a bit too much distance to occur between my well manicured index, middle, and ring finger for perfect comfort...always my need.

Finally the slope of the bottom of the handle as it intersects with the cup is four nano meters off the proper angle. Really an unacceptable error in production. A nano meter here, a nano meter there, next thing you know and it's two nano meters.

Clearly the problems with this cup represents an horrid design and production monstrosity.

Quite clearly it will be necessary, in the future, to have all of my cups custom made.

Clearly we need to engage the top scientists and engineers at NASA to develop a cup to better suit your speciality needs. Only people of that caliber have the necessary skills for ultra precision and perfection that can live up to your expectations.

NASA Space Cup

Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 6.13.03 PM.png

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Clearly we need to engage the top scientists and engineers at NASA to develop a cup to better suit your speciality needs. Only people of that caliber have the necessary skills for ultra precision and perfection that can live up to your expectations.

NASA Space Cup

View attachment 646984

Only those educated and experienced at the very highest level might participate in the project.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Kerrygold... Did a Costco run earlier today. I picked up two roast chickens and now I now where the Kerrygold I thought I picked up but apparently didn't was. I feel awful knowing there's now melted butter seeping out of a box near the roast chickens.

And against my better judgement, picked up some coffee beans. Newer roast date on the bag, but I thought it would be nice to make cold brew with since you don't taste the staleness in cold drinks.

Edit: Something house blend done by Starbucks per Costco's requirements. Should be decent with milk or cream after a 24 hr steep time.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Ah.

Excellent.

Another convert to the world of the orangey shmorangey espresso and coffee cups.

Er, shall I risk the remark that I doubt you will be disappointed?

Kerrygold... Did a Costco run earlier today. I picked up two roast chickens and now I now where the Kerrygold I thought I picked up but apparently didn't was. I feel awful knowing there's now melted butter seeping out of a box near the roast chickens.

And against my better judgement, picked up some coffee beans. Newer roast date on the bag, but I thought it would be nice to make cold brew with since you don't taste the staleness in cold drinks.

Edit: Something house blend done by Starbucks per Costco's requirements. Should be decent with milk or cream after a 24 hr steep time.

Ah, @Zenithal, what on earth is the matter with you?

Buttermilk in your wife's coffee, and now, butter cuddling up to the frozen chickens?

Um.

Maybe your subconscious is trying to tell you something.

Just finished our second cups of Irgacheffe for the day. All I can say is, Yummm! :cool:

Yes, Yirgacheffe rocks, and it is my personal favourite.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Buttermilk happened around the time one of the kids had a mild cold and I'd been up for the entire night monitoring. That and the cream and milk we buy from WF has about the most plain looking containers I've ever seen for a "premium product."

And the butter, I was distracted with a phone call while picking out the best looking roast chickens. I'm quite annoyed as I had plans on eating buttered bread and jam in the morning. I'd just bought some nice strawberry and rhubarb jam. Not toasted, this time.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Buttermilk happened around the time one of the kids had a mild cold and I'd been up for the entire night monitoring. That and the cream and milk we buy from WF has about the most plain looking containers I've ever seen for a "premium product."

And the butter, I was distracted with a phone call while picking out the best looking roast chickens. I'm quite annoyed as I had plans on eating buttered bread and jam in the morning. I'd just bought some nice strawberry and rhubarb jam. Not toasted, this time.

Well, on the butter-and-chicken combination (howsoever fused together) in the freezer, all I can say is that some of the Asian cuisines (some Indian, and some Thai, or Indonesian cuisines) offer a dish called 'buttered chicken'. I have had good friends - with whom I served abroad in strange places - who would eat nothing else in Thai or Asian restaurants.

Back on topic. It is Sunday, and I was exhausted. To my astonishment, I slept solidly through the night, and managed to sleep out breakfast, but, as work demands were not too pressing, I was able to defer ordering an espresso until lunch time. And both very welcome and very tasty it was, too.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It's now Sunday morning here in the eastern United States and I've just finished a great tasting cup of espresso. Just espresso, no sugar, no milk, no butter - just espresso, and it was divine. Today I used the Atomic Café Diesel blend and experimented slightly in that I used a high 17 gram, almost 18 gram dosage instead of the usual 16 grams. With the extra weight it still tasted wonderful and not bitter as I might have anticipated as other beans sometimes will.

Tomorrow my newest order from Atomic Coffee is the French Roast, a slightly darker roast than the Diesel blend, is due to arrive as recommended by @Shrink. I'm looking forward to tasting this for the first time probably either Monday evening or Tuesday morning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.