Essential DS Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Spanky Deluxe, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Ok... so if I were to buy a Nintendo-DS, which games would you guys consider essential? I would get Nintendogs and the brain thingy. Anything else?

2. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I'll repost my post from the "ds games, i can't choose" thread here. My personnal 2 favorites:

3. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Tetris DS. Unless of course you don't like Tetris. :D

Magnetica and Meteos if you like puzzles.

Animal Crossing: Wild World... a bit similar to The Sims, but more simple.

Metroid Prime: Hunters if you like first-person shooters (though I find this game rather difficult as I'm used to a keyboard+mouse combo for such games - it's easier than analog sticks though).

Edit: toysrus.ca states "This item cannot be shipped to Quebec." for Nanostray (probably doesn't have a french manual). I'll have to order it from someone on eBay... :(

4. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

As of now here are my games...

New Super Mario Bros.: Pretty fun game but far too easy

Mario Kart: After getting first in the first two circuits I thought I was the king at the game...3 losses in a row from other players over Wi-Fi put me in check....

Brain Age: This is just too fun IMO...it was definitely worth the $20 I payed to get it...very interesting concept

These games should hold me over for Children of Mana, Final Fantasy III, and Yoshi's Island 2

5. Torajima macrumors regular

Must have games?

Meteos - one of the most addictive puzzle games I've every played. And it has amazing production values... multiple game modes, tons of unlockable content, a bunch of different worlds (each with their own physics), and an enormous variety of music and sound effects.

New Super Mario Bros. - I'm not really a big Mario fan, but this game is so pretty (and so much fun to play), I might have to break down and buy it.

Metroid Pinball - the best pinball game since Alien Crush on the TurboGrafx.

Trace Memory - a beautiful anime adventure game that makes good use of both screens.

Trauma Center - I haven't played this one, but it's gotten rave reviews and makes good use of the touch display.

Mario Kart DS - another game with great reviews. Features online play.

Nintendogs - everyone is buying it, so it must be good, right? ;)

Brain Age - a "game" to train your brain... and who doesn't want to be smarter?

Animal Crossing DS - your life away from your "real life". Supposedly better than the Gamecube version...

Nanostray - shooter with awesome 3D graphics (and 2D gameplay). Doesn't make good use of the touch display, but it's still a very pretty game.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubadour - great game for Yugioh fans

And as others have mentioned, Advance Wars Dual Strike, Tetris DS, Metroid Prime, etc.

There's more, but that's all the time I have for now...

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

ah. this again. I'm not going to post reasons. but here is my top list

WarioWare
    Kirby
    Bomberman (multiplayer)
    Nanostray
    Nintendogs
    Advance Wars
    Mario Kart
    Animal Crossing
    Metroid Hunters
    Mario DS
    Castlevania DS

7. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Can anyone tell me what the difference is for multiplayer DS games concerning Single-cart vs. Multi-cart?

I don't care which games specifically, but I noticed some list that you can do both and some list one or the other. Those that have both, I can't really tell what the differences are. Is the single-cart multiplayer severely limited, etc?

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Depends entirely on the game.

In Mario Kart, for example, they are the same except for single cart players are limited to only one character and 8 tracks. In Tetris DS they are exactly the same IIRC. In New Super Mario Bros however you can only do minigames in single cart.

9. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Who woulda thunk that Macrumors would be where I get all my DS info from? I'm planning on picking up a DS later this week after I put my Gamecube up on eBay (I only need one system to play at a time.) I was saving up for the upcoming iMac but a broken washer put that on hold :p.

10. sk1985 macrumors regular

Anything with the world mario in it. No joke Mario kart, NSMB, Mario 64, ect.... All of those games are good to great.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

My picks:

NSMB(I love this one)
    MP:H
    Trauma Center
    P.Wright(OBJECTION!!!....i love doing that)
    Mario Kart
    Brain Age(This grew on me)
    Castlevania DS(good game)
    Kirby

Any game that makes you use the stylist more!

Bless

12. Dandaman macrumors 6502

anyone tried big brain academy yet? I'm gonna buy either brain age or big brain academy, but not sure which one yet. any help?

thanks

daniel

13. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

brain age pwns ;)

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed..brain age is lots of fun....makes me think a lot...good job.

Bless

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This thread needs some Ouendan Love. Classic game and very fun and challenging.

[​IMG]

It's also very import friendly. No knowledge of japanese is required to navigate - it's really easy to figure out the single menu.

Youtube gameplay vids to get you enthused - Clikity

16. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I only have 3 DS games, and I've had my DS for a while now :(

All of them are great, though

Mario 64: I never had a 64, so I got this for DS. If you have played this game before/owned a 64+this, I wouldn't make it a priority.

New Super Mario Bros.: So fun. But easy. Still, get it though.

Advance wars Dual Strike: Fun game, but difficult. Should go ahead and get it, it will last a while, which makes it worth the money.

17. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I was just about to ask why noone had listed Mario 64-- after all, the original is considered to have been one of the best games of all time. Is it because the core DS fans are all N64 fans who were looking for something new? Or is it a weak title for some reason? I was out of the console wars for 20 years and I plan for Mario 64 to be my first purchase when I get my DS-- any reason not to?

18. simon-says macrumors regular

I loved Mario 64 on the N64, but for the DS it's just different. Maybe I just miss the N64 controller, I'm not sure. The mini games on there are fun, but I guess I just miss the controller for this game too much.

As for the games I'd pick up.
    Metroid Prime Hunters
    Nintendogs
    Mario Kart DS

19. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I've been playing Big Brain Academy all week. It's loads of fun, though I don't own Brain Age so I couldn't compare. They both seem great, for me it was a toss up I chose Big Brain because I liked the puzzles on the website demos. But Brain Games might be my next purchase.

You have to figure Brain Games you can probably get used for cheap since it's a real hot seller and there will be lots floating around when people get bored of it. Maybe?

20. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I'd get it, it's a blast. Plus there are about 20 extra stars (give or take a few, I can't recall). It was the only game I owned for about a month, and I still play it from time to time.

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I really love Mario 64 DS and I still pick it up and play occasionally. I had it for the 64 and like most people played it and played it until it was every level was combed through :p. It was one of my first purchases for the DS and I wasn't dissapointed - it was amazing to play it on the go. The extra charatcters (Yoshi, Wario, and Luigi and their individual characteristics) and bunnies/stars added more than enough to keep me interested. You could probably pick it up cheap - either way it's unlikely you'll be disappointed. I think some people just have sentimental (perhaps rose-coloured ;)) N64-o-phile memories....

If you play it on the DS lite chances are it'll be the best and brightest screen you'll ever have had the privilege of playing it on....

22. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

For me, the one's I've used and love:
    Animal Crossing: Wild World
    New Super Mario Bros
    Yoshi Touch & Go
    Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time
    Mario Kart DS
    Nintendogs

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I bought Castlevania DS yesterday

:eek:

it's single handedly destroyed every other DS game in my little opinion. just wow.

24. MS bulldog macrumors regular

is that one rare/hard to find?

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

In my neck of the woods. yes. I searched for months in Oldham, Ashton and Manchester to find this. all the little back alley shops, all the main shops. nobody had it. it was a stroke of luck I found it in Game, an employee commented that people have been asking for this game for a while. they only got a mini-shipment that day and mine was the last one.

it's easy to buy online but it's at the point where online charges the same as high street. £25 is the running figure. no less. seemingly.