Essential Mac Software??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mattpol, Jun 26, 2002.

1. mattpol macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2002
    New York, NY
    I made the SWITCH, and now i'm no longer stuck on the dark side.

Now that I have seen the light, what are some important applications I should purchase or download. Media players, P2P software, etc......??

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA

What model did you get?

As for apps:

Adium- AIM Client without adds, and its much smoother
    ?Omni Web 4.1?- Nice browser
    ?Red Faction?- Really fun game to play if you like games
    ?RTCW?- Also, an awesome game
    AppleWorks- An essential for typing
    Watson- A program that does it all...
    Neo/LimeWire- Music and files program
    Folding@home- If you want to help the team, get this!
    OmniDictionary- Dictionary on the computer...I love it!
  3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA

The "?" indicates that it will cost you money
  4. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2002
    Winter Park, FL

A couple of file sharing apps to consider are Hotline Client and KDX (for back-up purposes only of course...) as well as the CD burning utility Toast Titanium. Stuffit Deluxe is worth considering, and if you like games, I love Age of Empires II Gold and OttoMatic. MacTracker is a good freeware app ( which contains information on just about every Mac/OS/device ever made-- by no means essential, but useful nonetheless. Hope you find some great software to match your new computer,

Bill :)
  5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    Consider/try Fire and the ICQ client for OS X (native version). The rest depends on what you really intend to do with your Mac. For any kind of scanning, I would suggest getting Photoshop (unless they come out with OS X native software to do it for your scanner). Toast (Titanium) is THE best package to burn cd's and dvd's with. Get yourself a copy of NAV, so that you don't transmit viri to your friends (even though they probably won't effect your system). You can use Stuffit Expander for free, and it comes with your Mac. Most of the stuff you will want to use will already be installed, so there is little that you really need. Again, that also depends on what you are doing with the system.

Most of the major app's offer up trial versions so that you can see if they do what you need. Check out their web sites and go for the eval/demo versions.

For games... UT (love the taunts :D); ST Voyager, Elite Forces is pretty damned good; Quake is ok. Others are available, it all depends on what you like.
  6. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i would higly recomend X assist, its a little app that puts the application switicher back in to osX and also, i like dragthing over apple's dock plus you can put the trash can back on the desktop where it belongs
  7. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2001
    Montgomery, AL
    I really hate to be "that guy", but I would HIGHLY suggest Office X. It's a great suite, and while overpriced, is terribly powerful. Moreover, it IS the industry standard. ;)

Neo is a solid Kazaa shadow client. You can download it for free at

As for games, only one will do.: The Sims. It's like digital crack. :D
  8. mattpol thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2002
    New York, NY
    Re: Great!

TiBook G4 800 MHz, 1 GB RAM, 60 GB HD....the works!

It's amazing, and I couldn't be happier!

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Re: Re: Great!

Sweet! :D Not bad for your first Mac! That's the 'Ultimate' isn't it?
    But...why didn't u wait until after MWNY incase of any update?
  10. coolocity macrumors regular

Jun 24, 2002
    Central New York
    Nothing wrong with being "that guy." Office X is great. One re-occuring theme with software getting put on new macs is Toast. That thing will burn whatever you want, however you want.. title is misleading, it doesn't actually make toast - but hey, MWNY is coming up :D You never know!
  11. rugby macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2002
  12. Geert macrumors 6502a

May 28, 2001
    Seems that none of the native apps are mentioned,
    but an upgrade to Quicktime Pro (wait for version 6) is real sweet.
    iMovie, iPhoto, illustrator
    all cool apps, screwing around with digital photos, video.
    with QT you download some trailers from the web, import it to iMovie (or I guess that the Tibook comes with FCP, so that's even better) and then you screw around, put your own stunt in place)

the digital hub is sweeeet :p