essential metadata........

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by sambo., Jun 3, 2004.

1. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

heya all;

i heard somewhere that the US Library of Congress (or some large association of librarians in the US or something) reccomends 17 (i think) essential pieces of metadata that should be used when filing stuff.

my understanding is that it was the librarians themselves making a contribution on how things should be labeled/captioned when put into a database of whatever description.

i checked their site and nope, all about US history, nothing about metadata.

so, my first Q to these forums, which i have only recently joined, is does anyone have a vague notion of what i am talking about, or was i way too trashed when the topic came up in conversation?

any help appreciated. :eek:

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I understand what you are talking about. I think they probably do have a system of tagging data that they use consistantly. I don't know if they document it externally. (no meta-meta-data)

Looking around I think you wantthis.

3. sambo. thread starter macrumors regular

sambo.

eeerrm.......

thanx;
    i'm wading through that site, but not sure if it's what i'm after.

my impression was that there were 17 (or 21? i dunno) lables that should be added to files. eg: author, created date, headline, title, etc etc etc.

i run a small newspaper, we are upgrading our system as soon as the G5 revision is announced and i'm trying to come up with a way to avoid the chaos i inherited when we bought the business.

nothing on the system is filed in any useful manner. no captions on pix etc etc etc and being a cheap win98 system to start with, no proper software to actually do any of this. oh yeah, no historical archive beyond copies of the book. everything prior to Jan '03 was unsuccessfully burnt to CD before i got here so no digital archive of anything beyond what is on the creaking hard-drive.

p'raps current events isn't the est place to put this q?

thanx again your help mongothegeek :cool:

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I don't know what your budget constraints are like but you may want to take a look at using FileMaker Pro 7 to archive the data. Personally, I like to keep all of the data that I can.

BTW, which paper?

Its not necessarily the worst place. I read it :)

PM me if you want some help setting up a database.