Essential PB accessories?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zelmo, Aug 8, 2004.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I am expecting delivery of my new PowerBook G4 15/1.33/512/60/Combo either Monday or Tuesday, along with the Brenthaven backpack.
    Mouse, Wi-Finder, extra battery, car adapter, screen protector, tool kit...the list of potential accessories goes on forever. I'm not going to cart the PB everywhere I go (but I do plan on handing out cigars upon it's arrival :) ) , but will want to be mobile from time to time.
    What essentials do you keep in your bag?

2. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Consider a Crumpelr School Hymn if it will fit in the bag...its a nice way to stop dust and scratches to your powerbook.

A ScreenSavr cloth from Radtech is working a treat for me keeping my screen clean and unmarked by the keyboard when travelling.

I bought a set of MacAlly network, firewire, phone and USB retractable cables which are proving to be very useful - I think they have a new one that does 2-3 of these things in one.

Check out the other recent thread on this subject by searching the forums.

3. jcook793 macrumors regular

I prefer CAO cigars myself, just so you know. None of those cheap seconds you get in cellophane bundles. :)

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Some software I use is MacStumbler. Its a great Wi-Fi finder. (I use it to check my mail away from home... ;) ) The white-thingy that comes with the computer, between your keyboard and screen, is a great piece of material to keep. Free, too, with the purchase of a $2000 computer, hehe.

Maybe a FireWire cable, but I only do that because I can charge my iPod whilst my computer sleeps.
    Let me explain: I plug in my laptop, plug the iPod into the laptop, and it charges even if the laptop is asleep.

Also, a FireWire cable is a handy thing to have. For the odd 400Mbps file transfer.

5. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

If you are rough with your backpack, I recommend ZeroShock for PB sleeve. It offers significant padding over other sleeves. Also, software should be where your money would go now.....unless you are "you know what ;) ".

6. Nspace macrumors regular

There was actually a thread about the same thing last week:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=80860

I also just got mine and have not really had time to stock up on essential accessories (still recovering from the price of the Powerbook :D)

So far I just have a Kensington Saddlebag Sport for it, I love this backpack already. Lots of room, waterproof, little idea for ipod, compartments for pens, compartments for books/magazines (this area is really flat and I really like this cause I am very picky about the condition of my hardcovers and magazines), suspended compartment for powerbook (so it can't hit the ground if you drop it), and lots of areas for other accessories.

I plan to get a Radtech Screensaverz thing as a cusion between the keys and screen and to keep it clearn. I also may consider the Radtech sleeve just to prevent scratches and such. Like Mechcozmo I too am using the piece of foam that shipped with the Powerbook for protection.

Logitech 2 button + scroll wheel USB optical mouse.

First time I have heard of MacStumbler, definately gonna check that out :D

7. trickynicky86 macrumors newbie

Radtech ScreensaveRz

I have a question about the Radtech ScreensaveRz...Is it supposed to cover the entire notbook? The reason I ask is because mine does not. There is a little less than an inch of uncovered Powerbook on all four sides, and while it does cover the keyboard and mouse section just fine so it will most likely work just fine, I was just wondering if this is normal. Any insight into the matter would be most appreciated.

8. sgtlmj macrumors member

1. Macally BTMouseJr
    2. Extra Power Cube
    3. Extra Battery
    4. Booq Bag to carry it all in

9. yinyang macrumors regular

it's actually called iStumbler

10. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Yes that's the way they've designed them. I don't particularly like it and I think they did it only to be kinda cheap and cut costs a tad bit. Personally, I think they should be the same size as the foam insert that comes with the PowerBook (which covers it completely). Now having said that, I still like mine and use it everyday. Basically it only makes the difference of knocking it down from a 5 star to a 4 star product in my mind.

11. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

There is actually a MacStumbler available as well. I like it a bit better than iStumbler myself, but they're both free so I keep them both. :)

12. yinyang macrumors regular

didn't realise that there were two *Stumblers..! :)

i'll give the other a try..!

13. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I've tested a number of Mac WiFi finders individually and all at once:

MacStumbler
    iStumbler
    AirStumbler
    Kismac

Consistently Kismac has been the fastest to detect new networks, more comprehensive in finding them (although I dont think it finds ones with SSID hidden) and has some pretty cool features.

14. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

Thanks!

Wow, thanks for the responses. Sorry about the duplicate post - I missed seeing the other one. Now all I need is another $500 or so to pick up all the other "bare essentials" I need/want to stock my bag with. :rolleyes:

Apple iSight
    MacAlly retractable 5-in-1 USB combo kit
    Radtech ScreensavRz
    Radtech PowerSleevz
    BT-500 mouse
    Radtech AlGlide
    Kensington Flysight
    Kensington Universal AC/Auto/Air power adapter
    Kensington Microsaver Retractable cable
    Kensington noise cancelling headphones

Do I need all of this stuff? Heck no, I'm just a freakin' geek. :)

15. zv470 macrumors 6502

um...

:)

16. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Skip the PowerSleevz. Go with a Tom Bihn Monolith ($40) instead (check tombihn.com). The sleeve has a plastic shell around it and is designed for backpack carrying. If you're using a messenger bag/briefcase go with the Brain Cell ($50). Inside the plastic shell is a thick layer of foam to cushion your baby. :D

17. wide macrumors 6502a

Any bluetooth mouse. I prefer Logitech and Microsoft for my mice, because they look good, are functional, and are really ergonomic (especially compared to the Apple and MacMice alternatives). The MacMice BT (due 9/04) should be pretty cool, though.

To me, the USB ports on the PowerBooks and iBooks are in odd places. I think that the place for ports should be in the back of the computer, personally, because that way there are less wires cluttering the front of your desk.

18. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

I have the Brenthaven Pro backpack, which came with what seems like a pretty nice sleeve for protecting my new baby. I am interested in finding something to help prevent scratches from haandling more than for providing additional padding. The PowerSleevz seems like a decent choice, while still being thin enough that it will fit in the sleeve in my backpack.

19. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

OK, that makes sense. I didn't realize you were putting it in a designated laptop bag.

You might want to check out the Tom Bihn Mitre too. It's about the same price ($30), but it's got a little padding, to help prevent dents too.