"Essential" Productive and Fun utilities/shareware

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eVolcre, Apr 10, 2003.

1. eVolcre macrumors 65816

Jan 7, 2003
    I apologize if this is a repeat but a search didn't bring up anything.

While I wait for my new 12" to charge up, I started browsing through 'versiontracker' and got quickly overwhelmed.

A one stop thread might be useful for recent switchers like me to get up to speed on cool software.

Here's what I came up with so far ...

1. iStumbler: (thanks patrick), locates WiFi Hotspots

2. XBack: allows screensavers to be used as backgrounds

3. SereneScene: The fishies! They be swimming.

4. Reflection of Daylight : Refection of Daylight is a freeware application that changes the background of your desktop according to the time. So you'll have a sunny desktop at noon whereas in the evening your desktop will be full by the red sunrays of the sunset which will fade into a starry night.

Proteus: All in one chat client ... MSN/Yahoo/Aim

Any comments on the ones I listed?

Mainly ... what else would you recomend? A name and small description would be nice ...

Cheers ... KSR
  2. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    there are two more apps i like to use with or in place of iStumbler: MacStumbler and KisMAC.

my favorite apps are candy bar, cocktail, forty-two, hydra, almost all of unsanity's haxies (ie shadowkiller, fruitmenu, metallifizer, can be found @ http://www.unsanity.com), finkcommander (http://finkcommander.sourceforge.net), bbedit, SAFARI!!!!! and stuff like protools, maya, shake and fcp that you don't need to know about
  3. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 7, 2003
  4. Chimaera macrumors regular

Nov 15, 2002
    ok I suggest the following apps:

Launchbar (gives you a command bar to load programs, for example hit apple-space and type toa and hit enter and up comes toast).

JAlbum - Java based web album generator - I use it to organise my digital photos on my website

Camino - the best OSX web browser out there (although Safari is close)

Graphic Converter - great batch editing photos and minor manipulation stuff

BBEdit - the best text editor out there

Transmit - fantastic FTP client

NetNewsWire - RSS feed grabber
  5. alset macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2002
    East Bay, CA
    I'm a fan of NetFinder for FTP. It lists directories in a hierarchical "list" view, allowing you to triangle-tab navigate through files quickly.