Estimated time for a BTO 17" Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by justswitched, Nov 17, 2003.

1. justswitched macrumors newbie

i want to order my powerbook tonight.

Im selling my pc notebook in about 3 weeks. do you think that if i ordered my powerbook tonight, only customizing being the ram which would be upgraded to 1 gb on 1 dimm, that i would recieve it before my other computer goes to its new home?

im trying to avoid being computer-less as well as swap over some of my existing files from my sony.

thanks in advance,
    neil

2. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I would estimate a week or two, so you should be OK. However, as is frequently heard on these boards, RAM from Apple is badly overpriced. I would recommend you purchase that from a third party and install it yourself, which would allow you to order a stock PB, which ship "same day." This way you'll have your new machine (and RAM) by the end of the week and save a couple hundred bucks.

Just a thought.

3. justswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

well i've been investigating the same ram/price issue and for the one gb sticks w/ me edu. discount it come out just a bit cheaper than if i uy it at the etailers who are askin between 500-600...

maybe you can point me to some who are comparable in price:(

4. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Why does the whole thing need to be on one stick? Future expansion? Another 512MB is under $100, which would give you an even gig.

5. justswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i need it on one stick because i would like to buy another gigi stick later on when the price stabilizes. but for now i want to to do some photo editing and music and other stuff. so i would like to get it on one stick and thats where i think the apple prices are competitive iwth the etailers (if you count my edu. discount). what do you think? this will be my first mac, btw

6. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I guess I spoke too soon. :D Apple's price isn't too outrageous - especially with your edu discount, I suspect. Sorry to jump you through hoops like this - I'm about to order one of these myself and did a bit of RAM comparison shopping last week, so it's been on my mind. I also made the "mistake" of buying Apple RAM when I bought my first Mac, so I try to share the experience.

Hope you enjoy your new machine. I'm sure you will love it.

7. Prabz macrumors member

Hey! Guess what, I just bought Apple memory as well, while being completely aware of the exhorbitant price they charge:mad:
    no...no.. Hear me out before you say anything...

So, this was because of three reasons:
    1) The Powerbook I ordered, is going to me my first mac. So I have absolutely no knowledge of how the insides look/work. So being the wonderfully inept novice that I am, I decided not to take any chances with a $2,000 machine.
    2) Secondly, I got to read somewhere that OSX Panther is pretty picky when it comes to RAM quality: a slight inferiority of the RAM, creats compatibility issues and what not. So, I decided to dish out $320 for the 2x512 SO-DIMMs bought at Apple. I know. I know:rolleyes: ... <It better be good!> is all that I can say to that.
    3) Also, I've heard of having to take e-x-t-r-a care while installing the RAM. I know people have had brand new RAM going Kaput! because of static transferred from the user... WTF! So one has to make sure to wear... whatz it called again? Yea, an *anti-static wrist-band* ...aargh!

Good Grief! Its all too much for a beginner! Kudos to those who have succeeded at this, at first go!

Anyway, I'm curious to know as to how someone could install second-party RAM in a PB. How easy is it? ...and um.. do you need to take the Powerbook apart:eek: to install it? How?

Well, I've gotta learn atleast!
    Prabz:D

8. ComputerWizard macrumors member

It should be fairly easy to install ram in a powerbook. On the new Aluminum models there is a specific place on the bottom of the laptop where if you were to remove that panel you could install more ram. By contrast, on the Titanium powerbook models the ram could be replaced just by lifting up the keyboard.

9. justswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

as i stated above after reading onthis site about exhorbitant mac ram prices i searched but as far as the one stick gb ram they are competitve or better when using the edu discount. i cto'd with the faster hard drive and the gig in one spot, and i will go to crucial for my future memory upgrading as they are significantly cheaper on the smaller size ram capacities.

i cant wait till my notebook arrives.:D