Estmated price drops when new G5 are released

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maclamb, Jan 9, 2004.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

Granted, this is all sheer specualtion, but, base don past behaviour, the consensus seems to be that Apple will release new G5s this month.
    OK, so I'm sitting on my hands, credit card and mouse to keep from buying....:eek:

My question is, based on past performance and your best guess, what will the price drops on the G5 DP 1.8 and DP 2.0 look like?
    Maybe $400 and $600 respectively? or closer to $200 and $400?

Any guesses what will be released and prices on those?

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Are you assuming that they're going to offer the 1.8 and 2.0 machines? If they go to a 90 nm chip then we'll get all new CPUs - 2.0 might be the slowest.

Its anyones guess what will be available for rev B. - about the only thing for sure is that it will happen within the next couple months.

D

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

my guess is that there'll be no price drop, but rather, higher specs at lower prices:

-single 1.8 at $1799 (to replace the 1.6)
    -dual 2 at $2499 (to replace dual 1.8)
    -dual 2.2 at $2999 (to replace dual 2)

since dual 1.8 was just recently announced, maybe apple will keep that one and price it between single 1.8 and dual 2, at around $2199.

4. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

Good points -
    I wasn't assuming they wuld keep "offering" them - I wasn't clear.
    I meant - price drops to flush "old" inventory. Haven't they typcally done tha t- dropped prices to clear old inveotry to make way for new machines?

I ask because I am about ready to buy - but only have about $1600 to spend - and get and ADC diso****, so my price for the DP 1.8 right now is $1999 - so I'm hoping to see it drop at least $300 ;-)

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

prevalent rumor is that toward the end of the product cycle, the old ones get bunched with "refurbs" when they really aren't. (i.e. they are sold at a discount as a refurb but they haven't been used or opened at all...)

not sure how credible this is, but i imagine the lowest G5 price won't drop that much, if at all. apple seems to like to have a floor and "update" by improving the specs while maintaining the price.

so i'd start looking around at the refurb section. also, check dealmac.com. they are pretty good at keeping track of good stuff out there.

p.s. i thought it was funny how your misspelt word "discount" was censored. :D

6. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

thanks - interesting - I'll check.
    Yes, nice typo ;-)
    My ADC discount won't be active for a couple weeks - so I'm in enforced patience!

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

good luck. it's always exciting purchasing a new hardware, so i know how you feel. the anxiety (the good kind!) will get worse once you order and has to wait for it to ship! :)

just make sure to avoid the too good to be true scams... though from what you've been saying, you are good to go on a legit purchase using your ADC, so i'm not really worried for ya...

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

if you live near an Apple store, you can always go and see what they're selling the old inventory for. I did that with a top of the line 1.25 when the 1.42s came out. Saved about $500 :D

D

9. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

thank you for the thoughts, concern and empathy!

If the ADC discount doesn't get me where I want to be for the DP 1.8 I'll eoither look on ebay - someone may sell a DP 1.8 to upgrade to a newer one - or settle for 1.6. I KNOW, I KNOW the DP kicks its butt.
    BUT
    Given what I use the machine for I can't see it will be that big a deal (light use at home, web, email, office, some iphoto after trips - nothing "serious"). If I start to do serious work I can justify selling it on ebay and getting a better one. I actually had a 1.6 on order via an ed. discount (careful typing this time!) combo for $1400. But then cancellled it becuase I wanted to wait until end of Jabuary and also till iLIfe 04 ships with the machine and decided to give a Student ADC memebership a try.

As for scams - OH MY GOSH - I dfo a lot of ebaying and you wouldn't belive the scams (ior, maybe you would).
    Had one guy try to get me to use safesell.us as the scrow house.
    Would *you* use this site???

Actually I have a 384M/30G wallstreet w/ a G4/500 CPU upgrade that I like and would just use that except for 2 things:
    1. Can't drive an external monitor under OSX with it
    2. Can't install Panther

10. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I completely disagree. According the rumors that are fluxuating I believe that we will see the the same lineup as last time (single, dual, dual or good, best, ultimate). Apple Insider is insisting that the speeds will be at 2.2, 2.4, and 2.6 becuase that is what IBM is producing. This makes sense considering that this will likely be the last update before the G6 looking at the timeframes of usual updates. If the G5 tops out at 2.6 now, It will make sense for the 980 to top out around 3 ghz when the time comes. This is my estimation of the prices :

single 2.2GHz: $1799 or $1999
    dual 2.4 GHz: $2499
    dual 2.6 GHz: $2999

This means that we will see a price drop of the existing machines.

single 1.6GHz: $1599
    dual 1.8 GHz: $1999
    dual 2 Ghz: $2399

This is what I think will happen

11. dschwab macrumors newbie

A refurb single 1.6Ghz currently goes for $1399, so I'd think the price for a "new, discontinued" model would be in that range. A refurb single 1.8Ghz goes for $1699, so I'd think it would drop as well if a single 2.2Ghz is priced a few hundred more, assuming that these refurbs are still around after a speed bump. Refurb dual 2Ghz is priced at $2399, so again, if the dual 2.4Ghz is priced right above it, I'd expect the discontinued dual 2Ghz to drop in price.

My guess on the prices for old models:
    single 1.6Ghz - $1399
    single 1.8Ghz (if refurbs still around) - $1599
    dual 1.8Ghz - $1999
    dual 2.0Ghz - $2199 (assuming the 2.4Ghz really does take the mid-tier dual slot and the 2.0Ghz doesn't)

12. Mantat macrumors 6502a

I dont believe in the 2.6 CPU simply because they just announced the xserver at DP 2.0. This would be illogical..

I am going for this line up:
    single 1.8 (BTO dual)
    dual 2.0
    dual 2.2

Prices will stay about the same because the demand is still high.

I would love to see a 2.4 but it would be too much compared to the rest and the xserver serie. They would probably stash them for a while.

Apple will then use the spare 1.6 to feed the new iMac line with the built in iSight. WHAT? Yes, its the next thing... Arent you surprised that there hasnt been any update to iChat for a while? They will bundle everything with the new iMac release. IMHO this product would make Apple fortune and bring it to the mass.

Anyways, I think my friend that you will have to get the 1.6... Use the saved money to get more ram, bigger HD or an iSight.

13. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

thanks for the geuess -
    If the 1.8 dual drops to $1999, then the ADC discount should be about 20%, so it should be about $1599.
    If I drop the modem and get a combo drive I can maybe squeak a DP 1.8 for about 1400 - not incl tax.
    512 Ram is enouigh to start - I can add more later.
    If I'm off by 100 no biggie, more, I'll have to "settle" for the 1.6

14. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I don't see why there shouldn't be a DP 2.4. There really has to considering that they have to be at 3 GHz in summer. There will only be this step before it.

Following your logic, the Power Mac cannot reach 3 GHz, because the XServe won't be at 2.8 GHz (which is ovious, because it would need to be faster than the fastest Power Mac available then) in summer. You see? With your logic, there can only be 200 MHz increases of Power Macs and xServes, which can't be true.

That's why I'm sure we will see 2.4 GHz at least and hopefully even 2.6 GHz.

15. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

But, if they put the xserve at higher speeds than the powermac then it would slaughter sales until a new update comes. Apple wouldn't want that. In addition, if you look in the past, the xserve has never been faster than the powermac, why would they change that policy now?

16. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

Some posts in other places on this forum have specuclated on a dual 1.6 at the low end.
    Any chance?

17. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I don't think so, but it could be their new "budget G5." Maybe around $1499? Unlikely, nay, not gonna happen.

18. lind0834 macrumors regular

I don't think updating the PowerMacs would kill sales of the Xserves. They are after all different markets. Now that Xgrid was released, and how nice the RAID systems are, I think that people looking for a server solution would be more than happy with the Xserve.

Since the G5 creates so much more heat than the G4, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Xserve always a Generation behind the PowerMac.

19. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Or maybe they just want to save all the faster chips for the workstations (oops, I mean desktops). :)

20. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I was talking about killing the sales of the current powermacs.:rolleyes: