ETA on 8-way?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ozy, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Ozy macrumors regular

Ozy

I'm ready to buy and am just waiting for the 8-way to be released. Anyone on the inside able to give any juicy tidbits on an ETA?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Highly unlikely. Anyone on the inside is under a very strict NDA and are forbidden from posting on forums.

3. daveIT macrumors member

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We don't have much more than the AppleInsider article, and they're not right all the time...not that they're terribly specific in their article.

6. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

Actually, I was told that the new G5 Powerbook is coming out next Tuesday. ;).

More seriously, though. Apple has been switching it up lately, not all on Tuesdays. My guess is that we don't see an 8-core until the New Year. Evidently the lack of Adobe updates has been keeping sales down. Not sure that an octo would change that, so not much pressure to do it at the momment and wait until after the holiday rush.

cheers.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You could just do what CNet did and buy some Clovertowns yourself and pop them into a current Mac Pro...

8. drewwerd macrumors newbie

I'm cunfused, when will then be now?............. soon

9. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

They'll announce a new Mac Pro lineup at Macworld San Francisco - along with a nice demo from Adobe showing how fast Photoshop CS3 runs on the new machine.

There will be another demo of Leopard along with an announcement of the release date.

Then Teh Steve will introduce iLife '07.

Then, one more thing, iPhone.

Then thousands of MacRumors users will whine that they didn't get exactly what they wanted:

"why not a four core Mini with an ATI X1900 for $500! I hate Apple!"

"the iPhone suXXors! (but I'm going to buy one for each person in my family anyways)"

"Apple's pricing is ridiculous! I could build a similarly specced PC for $3!"

The End. :D

10. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

My sources tell me.... 2007. :D

Seriously, I bet Steves got this nice NDA... if you leak, I castrate you.

11. pastrychef macrumors 68040

pastrychef

Atari1356, I think you've nailed just about everything. The only thing missing is their iTV...

12. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

Can't buy them alone yet, OEMs get first pick... I don't think so anyway.

13. ksz macrumors 68000

This has been discussed in another thread (see post 353 and on), but it's worth mentioning again: Apple may wait until the current Bensley chipset is replaced by Stoakley in the first quarter of next year. Among various enhancements is a new memory controller that provides 25% greater sustained throughput, a pair of 2nd generation PCIe x16 links, support for future 45 nanometer processors, etc.

The Mac Pro was released in August at WWDC so considering a 6-month lifespan, we should expect a replacement around February or March. Of the four Clovertown processors announced by Intel this week, the two fastest models (with the 1333 MHz bus used in the Mac Pro) won't be available until next year. So given that Stoakley is also coming early next year, it makes sense for Apple to wait until then.

More details are here, particularly the subsection entitled A question of chipsets.

14. macintouch macrumors regular

I hope whatever new MacPro that comes out doesn't put mine in the stone age. I'm loving this damn thing and if it does...I'll be pissed.

15. dusanv macrumors 6502

45 nm chips (based on Peryn core to be release a year from now) should be pluggable in the current Mac Pro. Or so I thought.

16. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Would you of paid the extra $1200-1500 or so that Apple will probably charge for the upgrade if it had been available? Are you pushing your mac pro beyond it's 4 core limits?