ETA on Radeon 9700?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Tom Light, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Tom Light macrumors member

Any idea on how long it will take to make the new card available on a standalone basis?

Thanks!

Tom

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I've heard it mentioned several times that the 9700 would appear in the Power Mac 3 months before it would be available for stand alone purchase.

Since it just started shipping in the Power Mac's at the beginning of April, I'd expect it to be available for stand alone purchase sometime in early July.

3. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

isn t it possible to buy the pc version and flash it so that it becomes the mac version?

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Why should they wait that long? The WWDC featuring Panther, and maybe, maybe (wish, wish) the 970, has just been taken place by then. It would be a good idea to make sure ATI can keep some focus on this card as a major release of Apple-related hardware.
    According to this interview with IMG , the card would be based on the PC version, and the drivers in Mac OS X 10.2.5 are allready there, aren't they? Maybe Apple is delaying the release in order to sell more BTO PowerMacs MDD at the Apple Store... :rolleyes:

5. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

no. there is the wonderful little proprietary apple video connector... :(

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

If I remember correctly, I read that Apple and ATI had a deal which stated that Apple would get the card for BTO machines 3 months before ATI would release the card for stand alone purchase.

7. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

sorry i am a bit off . .. what does the connector has to do with flashing the rom?

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

the whole flashing thing is weird. i have taken my radeon out of my powermac and put it in my pc and i got video just fine, never checked to see if reconized it completly.

iJon