Ethernet Card

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Spock, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I just got a Performa 6400/200 and I was wandering if anyone knew how to hack a PC Linksys Ethernet card to work in it.

2. awulf macrumors 6502

From what have gathered is that you can only use ethernet cards that have the correct drivers for them (for the mac) because I want to add a new ethernet card in to A performa 6360 but the card doesn't have a driver for the mac.

The only way to make it work is to find some sort of third party privers (let me know if you find some) or write your own driver, if you can program and know how this card works.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I have an Asante ethernet card in my 6400/200, they should still have options available that work - maybe even a com slot version.

Or you can always wait for someone to write a driver.

4. Spock thread starter macrumors 68000

Spock

I have the card in my Performa already I just can't get it work. It is out af a PC

5. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

you can't get it to work because there are probably no drivers for it...so take it out and get one with drivers for mac

6. Spock thread starter macrumors 68000

Spock

Monkey,
    The idea of the post was to find out if their is drivers for the card or a hack I don't want to buy a new card I want mine to work.

7. iN8 macrumors regular

Spock,

Can you find out what chip is on the card (ie. RealTek). If you find that out, you can find another card that uses the same chip and use their drivers. It may work, just as well as it may not.

I had an extra Hawking SOHO series 10/100 card lying around the office when the ethernet port in my Beige G3-333 blew. I went on their website and they had no mac drivers for the card. Being the resourceful person I am, I found what chip it was using (Realtek RTL 8139) and searched the internet for mac drivers for the same chip and came up with one that worked.

The best part is, the card was only $19.95.

Good hunting.

in8