Ethernet causes kernel_task to spike cpu? 10.8.2

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Saturn1217, Sep 26, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Apr 28, 2008
    I just upgraded from Lion to ML after the 10.8.2 update. I did a clean install manually reinstalling all my software. So far I like the new OS a lot but I am having one issue.

At work when I use ethernet there sometimes it causes the kernel_task in activity monitor to spike to ~20% cpu usage. Not horrible but it heats up my computer and if i'm doing something cpu intensive it gets in the way.

I couldn't figure out what was causing it but I think now I have it narrowed down to when ethernet is plugged in. However it isn't consistent. I'm at work right now with ethernet plugged in and everything is normal. But when kernel_task does start acting up unplugging the ethernet stops it and when I plug it back in the kernel_task starts up again.

I've attached a screen shot of the console. Highlighted in blue is what happens directly after I plug in the ethernet cable and the kernel_task cpu usage spikes.

This isn't a deal breaker problem but it is really annoying and if anyone has any insights i'd love to hear it.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    What do you mean by 'using Ethernet'. Have you checked how many packets are being sent and received on the wired interface when you observe such a spike?
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 28, 2008
    By using ethernet I mean having the ethernet cable physically plugged in. the moment I pull the cable out the kernel_task (if it is misbehaving at the time) will immediately return to normal.

I'm not at work right now so I can't test it but I will try to look out how many packets I'm sending/receiving. Thanks.