Ethernet conflict between new iMac and G4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DavidnBak, Dec 25, 2006.

1. DavidnBak macrumors newbie

Please help! My new iMac is conflicting with another computer on my home network. The network uses an SMC Barricade router with wireless. Connected to that via ethernet is a G4 Quicksilver. My wife has an iBook connected via wireless. I just got a spiffy new 24' iMac. I can connect that to the network via ethernet without problem, as long as the G4 is turned off. However, if the G4 is on, the iMac's connection fails. In the Network Status preference pane the ethernet status icon will blink rapidly from green to red and a message will appear saying that the ethernet cable is not connected. If I turn off the ethernet on the iMac and switch on the built in Airport, both computers can access the network without conflict. Similarly, if I turn off the ethernet on the G4, the ethernet connection on the iMac works fine. Obviously there's an ethernet conflict of some sort, but my diagnostic skills can take me no further. Any advice or suggestions will be much appreciated.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Make sure that one of the ports on the router isn't an uplink port. Have you tried a different ethernet ports on the router? Like for example, take the ethernet plug where the iMac is coming from and plug it into a different ethernet port on the router? Maybe for some reason those 2 specific ports share the same port (ie. an uplink port). Or you have a bad ethernet port somewhere in the router. Which changing the ports around to an unused port would solve that possibly.

3. DavidnBak thread starter macrumors newbie

mklos:

I've tried different ports on the router, as well as different cables. That's had no impact. All of the ports and cables work fine, so long as the iMac and G4 are not both trying to access the network via ethernet. I haven't plugged either in into an uplink port, either, because the DSL modem is hooked up to that.

Thanks for the suggestions.

David