Ethernet connection , can it be fixed?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by kahoona, Jan 14, 2004.

1. kahoona macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2004
    Recently put my ibook in to get fixed as I reckoned it had a faulty ethernet connection. Sure enough it was returned saying that the connection was damaged and would have to be repaired, the cost for repair £700 (excluding service and VAT)

My question is this, can the connection be resoldered? or do I have to pay this? Considering my machine only cost £1400 and is 13months old I find it ridiculous that i'm having to pay half the value of the machine t get it fixed!

I'd be very very very grateful if someone out there could advise me on this! Many Thanks

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    That's because Apple's repair replaces the entire logic board instead of the replacing the port.

If you want it done for less, do it yourself and replace the port.

However if it's the Ethernet PHY that's dead, it'll probably be a tad bit more difficult.
  3. Mblazened macrumors regular

Dec 20, 2002
    The Valley
    try not to trip over your ethernet cord next time
  4. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    ok this is ridiculous! Three threads now?

POST A TOPIC ONCE! Do not, and i mean NEVER, post the same topic more than ONCE!
  5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    There's always WiFi. Also, that's why so many people recommend Apple Care for portables, because they're mega-expensive to fix.
  6. kahoona thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2004
    dry your eyes! I'm desperate and never been on this forum! Thanks for the tip though!
  7. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Oh man, see this is why I was looking at a wireless base station as insurance instead of a frivolous expense. When I first got my laptop I was trailing a 30' ethernet cable around for mobility and I quickly saw that I should have ordered the base station with the computer. It's not like the ethernet jack can be replaced without replacing the whole logic board if you screw it up. The $250 I spent on an AE seems worth it for that peace of mind alone. Wireless access is nice too though.;)
  8. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    I agree with the others. Just get an airport card and a cheap wireless basestation. You can easily get all that for under $200.