Ethernet Connection Problems with iMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by SaulTurnedPaul, Jan 15, 2004.

1. SaulTurnedPaul macrumors newbie

Hey y'all, I'm new.

I just inherited an iMac G3 333MHz 64MB RAM 6GB HDD. I was setting it up today but couldn't get the internet to work. The internet connection wizard is asking for an IP address (which of course I don't know - the computer should know that) and it's also looking for a DNS server among other things. I have Verizon internet and I know my default gateway IP address and have entered the DNS server address but it doesn't seem to care - it won't connect anyway. I was hoping someone here might take a jab at telling me why. I'm not new to computers BTW so I know the Cat5 is good and so is my network switch. I've got 3 other computers running just fine in my room (custom self-built PCs running the devil's operating system - afterall I live two blocks from M$) but this one doesn't want to play nice. Any help would be appreciated!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I would be more able to help you if I knew more about your network setup. For example, if you have all 4 computers connected (directly or indirectly through a hub or switch) to a router which then connects to your cable/dsl modem, you need to tell it to obtain the IP address automatically/use DHCP. If the 3 PCs were assigned IP addresses manually, then you'll need to look at documentation from your internet service provider (ISP) to find the IP address you need to use.

3. SaulTurnedPaul thread starter macrumors newbie

:D

Thanks for the reply! I guess that's all it needed was to use DHCP... I was manually setting things up but now it works just great!

Thanks again. :)

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You're very welcome. I'm glad to help newbies like you out.

edit: grammar