Ethernet connection to PC from Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stoid, Apr 26, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

In a dorm room here, and I want to connect to the room PC running Windows 2000 Professional and access files on it's HD. I am running the latest Panther 10.3.3. Both computers are connected to the same ethernet hub in the room.

2. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

No one?

I do have admin access on the PC, and going the other way (PC mounting the Mac) would work as well.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Personally I would set up an ftp server on one of the computers. I installed guildftp (which is free) on my pc and share my folders that i want to share. It takes almost not time to setup. And Ftp is much faster than samba or windows sharing.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i dont know if this will be of any help at all, but i know when connecting two macs via ethernet all you have to do to access files is turn on remote login under your sharing prefs in system prefs, i dont know if this would work for a windows computer though, worth a try at least

5. reaper macrumors 6502

my personal experience it that it's much easier (and safer from a possible security risk standpoint - i think windows is just awful in this respect) to mount the mac on the pc.

just enable windows file sharing on the mac and then either browse for the mac on the network, or get the ip address of the mac from the router and connect to it directly. then tell windows to remember the password and mount the mac as a network drive.

- reaper

6. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

I tried the FTP thing, and got nothing.

Then I noticed the Windows File Sharing! Of course! *smack*

Work's perfectly, no problems whatsoever!

edit: I was typing my reply before reaper responded.

Thanks all!

7. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Remote Login is the ssh daemon. It will provide access to files via scp or sftp, but nothing like browsing the filesystem.

For two mac's, you can enable Personal File Sharing and mount the entire remote drive on the local mac.

8. rletan macrumors newbie

First, on the mac, go into "sharing" and check the box for "windows file sharing" Then double click on your hard drive and select "network" from the left side. It should show up in there. It will ask you to enter in your windows user name and password. Depending on how the windows machine is set up you sometimes can get in by leaving all the fields black. Also make sure the hard drive on the windows machine is set to share (right click it and go to sharing if its not).