Ethernet help.....PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by windsail, May 3, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

May 3, 2004
    Hi all,
    Glad I found you. I am having a problem with connecting my old G3 (beige 300) my first computer, to my new G4. I am not a pro so I really don't have much experience. I have tried a connection with a cat 5 ethernet cable but don't know what comes next. I have opened sharing and entered the right numbers and password etc. but am still refused a connection. I'm not even sure the G4 is finding the G3. I'm really stumped and would much appreciate any guidance. Thanks much, windsail
  2. macrumors 68020

Jul 16, 2002
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I'm guessing you need a cross over cable. That's what you need to use if you are going straight from one computer to another. You use a regular etherenet cable if you are going into a router or a hub. Crossovers aren't expensive either; it's basically a regular ethernet cable with one end sorta flipped upside down so the wires cross over into the opposite sides. Sorry, I'm getting confusing.

Just ask for a crossover cable. Any computer place should know what you are talking about.

3. macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    A new G4 will auto-sense a normal cat 5 cable so there's no need for a crossover. I'm not sure when they started using these, but it was over a couple years ago.

G4 is running Panther? How about the G3?