Ethernet in Classic II?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by im_to_hyper, Oct 29, 2005.

1. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

I had read recently that some sort of ethernet card can be installed in an SE/30 and was wondering if it was possible to do the same for the Classic II (which I just got)

If these adapters are too costly, is there any other route ya'll know of?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Unfortunately there is no place to put an ethernet card in a Classic or Classic II. However, you can use local talk plus a local-talk->Ethernet Bridge and accomplish the same thing, albeit limited to 4 Mbps.

TEG

3. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Hmm... that seems too complicated to set up. I would probably be better off just not trying to go online then with it, eh?

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Actually, it would be limited to 230kbps (That's as fast as LocalTalk goes without a very rare hardware clocking device.)

And I've been trying, and have as yet been unable to get TCP/IP to work over LocalTalk. (I want to have my Classic on the Internet without using an external adaptor.)

That said, I do have a wonderful device called an 'EtherSCSI'. It plugs into the SCSI port, and gives you Ethernet. It works on any Mac from the Plus to the beige G3 (I suppose it would even work on later Macs with an add-in SCSI card,) and there are drivers that work in System 6 through OS 9. (I use one to get my SE/30 online, and another for my PowerBook Duo 2300c.) They can be found on eBay reasonably cheaply. (The most common is the Asanté EN/SC)

5. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    yeah, i have one of those too for my classic II. works well and you don't have to take your mac apart.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Asante would be the company to stick with, since they are still offering some nominal support with their forums...

www.asante.com/forums/default.asp

Even if they've basically ditched the full corporate support for these machines.

Sort of sucks that they took down their old Mac-to-Ethernet poster they used to have (at least I couldn't find it.)