Ethernet modem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by timmyb, Jul 25, 2005.

1. timmyb macrumors 6502

I am planning on setting up a wireless network when I get the new iBook. I want to get the Airport Extreme base station but have a query. I currently have a USB only modem and I think that I need an ethernet modem. Can anyone recommend a cheap modem, (preferably easily available in the UK,) with both an ethernet and a USB slot?

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Why do you need one with ethernet and USB port in your new modem? You'll pay more for one with both than an ethernet/usb only one. Have a look at something like the Voyager 205 - it goes for under £30 on eBay these days but it's pretty basic. Dlink and Zoom also make ethernet modems - tho not all have a USB slot too.

Otherwise why not just look at getting an all-in-one ADSL modem/wireless router from Belkin or Netgear. It will work with your Mac and since you are only buying one piece of hardware, it's cheaper. Around £70 these days if you shop around and since most of them are configured via a web interface, pretty easy to set up.

The only benefit of getting the Airport is being able to easily share a USB printer or if you get the Express, having Airtunes. And I guess it's very slightly easier to set up and should keep working when OS upgrades. But since there are now wireless printers on the market, the printer need is slightly less.

3. Tolien macrumors member

The 3Com 3CRWE754G72-A-UK ADSL router is selling at pretty low prices (£35.24 from Insight), and would do the job of both modem and router. :)

It's worth bearing in mind that if you get a plain modem with both ethernet and USB, you'll only be able to use one at a time. For what it's worth, USB is an evil beast when it comes to networking :p

4. timmyb thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm definitely getting the Apple Base Station, (for the wireless printing.) What I think I need is a simple ethernet modem to link the phone line to the base station, (is this correct?) and if so, what modem should it be?
    BTW, what limits the number of Macs/PCs I can share a broadband connection on?

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Either of the two modem/routers in the posts above should work.

As for how many clients you can have on the network, it depends on the base station you buy. The Extreme Base station can have up to 50 (and has a wired port so computers with no Airport card but which do have ethernet can be plugged in). The Express can have up to 10 clients connected wirelessly.

Either of those can do wireless USB printing too but only the Express will give you AirTunes if that's of interest.

6. dcv macrumors G3

This is a very good all-in-one wireless adsl modem/router/firewall. I had this exact model but it broke after a year and a half. The good news however is that 3Com provide a five-year warranty so mine is currently being repaired.

This is a discontinued model by the way, which is probably why it's so cheap.

The new version looks almost identical and is around £60 or £70 at dabs.com, comes in a bundle with a free pcmcia or pci card that you can always sell.

Edit: timmyb you haven't specified whether you're after an adsl or cable modem, i think most of us are assuming adsl