Ethernet no longer working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by livingfortoday, Jan 9, 2007.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Hey everybody. I don't know how, but ever since I upgraded my Mini's CPU this afternoon, I haven't been able to connect to my network through ethernet. It's plugged in the exact same way as it was before - the Mini to the router, the router to the modem, with the same cables. I can get online with Airport, but not my ethernet. Attached are the Network pane where ethernet is grayed out, and my System Profiler - I don't really know what the stuff under Built-in Ethernet means.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Try making a new location, and see if Ethernet works from that?

You can also try deleting and then re-adding Ethernet.

3. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

If I make a new location, it doesn't see ethernet at all. I deleted it, and when I went to re-add it, these are my options:

(6 to 4) doesn't seem to be anything, as far as I can tell.

Attached Files:

4. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Okay, I rebooted, and ethernet is back on the list, but still grayed out. Windows also does not seem to be able to connect through ethernet.

I'm going to bed, but if anyone can post an answer to my problem between now and when I wake up, I'd be very appreciative! Thanks!

5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Maybe your Ethernet got disconnected when you upgraded your processor? The only time I have a gray connection is when my phone isn't plugged into my computer by USB (I can dial through it and use it as a data connection). It's hard to imagine how though as all the ports on the back are a single unit.

Picture 1.png

6. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

(still awake) Yeah, I have no clue. I checked just now (my Mini is topless), and everything seems fine around it. I didn't hit anything or bend or break anything. I haven't the foggiest clue as to why this happened.

I should add - after the upgrade the first time I booted up, ethernet worked fine. I ended up reapplying thermal grease, though, and after that disassembly/assembly the ethernet stopped working. So it's not the CPU's fault, it's gotta be something else.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

It sounds like the port itself might of been damage....delicate things man. Do a careful look at the connectors to see if it is cracked. Look in system profile to see if its listed in there.

Bless

8. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, there's a screenshot of system profiler in the first post. I don't know what all of that means, though, so I can't really tell if it's seeing it or not. I just checked carefully, and there's no physical damage around the ethernet port at all, either.

9. biggeek76 macrumors newbie

i'm getting a very similar problem with my 20" imac.

Phoned up applecare and went thru the usual reset modem, create new connection and reset the preferences things... but nothing.

Looks like the can't get a new ip address thru the modem as it has one of those internal ip address showing up: 169.254.something.something...

The modem and cable are fine as I can plug it into another computer and everything works...

I am going to bring it into the store soon to test it out on their system, but anyone have any further suggestions? The store I'm bringing it to has like a 3 week waiting list :eek: and... that's just not going to work for me as I'm leaving the country on Monday and I need it right now.

Cheers

10. biggeek76 macrumors newbie

So weird....

Well, everything works fine on any other modem. So, big picture is that its a compatibility issue between this modem and my imac. Weird thing is is that it worked before with the exact same setup. I have no idea what changed. I'll have a new modem when I move, so I'm sure things will work out fine. If not, I'm sure that if I get a router things will work thru there.

C'est la vie.

Though, if anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. Cheers

11. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Have you tried a ping in Terminal?
    You can test the TCP/IP connection stack on your own computer by issuing the ping command with the "Loopback address" of your very own computer. The Loopback address for all computers is 127.0.0.1. In Terminal, type:
    ping -c4 127.0.0.1
    - you should get a reply from this - a failed "ping" at address 127.0.0.1 probably indicates that your computer is not setup with the TCP/IP protocol.
    If that works then try pinging the ip address of your router. You might want to switch off the airport card if, like me, you're easily confused :)
    Good luck

12. biggeek76 macrumors newbie

Hi, yea... tried pinging that and it pings fine. Don't have a router, so can't ping that... can I ping a modem?