Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zach

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
Hey all

A couple of days ago, my ethernet port on my iBook was damaged. One of the metal contacts got crushed against the bottom of the port. I wanted to know whether you guys think i need to go get this serviced, or if i can fix it myself. Thanks alot for your input.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
ouch, its gonna cost you, the price of a whole new motherboard.

iJon

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by tazo
aren't there like USB-ethernet connectors? i thought so...
there are i believe, but i doubt whoever makes them has os x drivers.

iJon

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
all the majro netowrking companies make them but it seems like they only make pc drivers and it would be as fast depending onyour connection...

we need someone to make an adaptor that stays in the port and stick out a little and lets you plug in an ethernet cable, this way if oyu bent a pin it wouldn't effect the port it self but only the adaptor...

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
If you have soldering/desoldering capability, you could order a replacement ethernet connector and fix it yourself.

zach

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
iJon,

Do you know for a fact that they will charge me for a entire new motherboard when I get it serviced?

I'd appreciate your replies, because this seems like something they could easily fix.

Thanx

Oh yes, and tazo,

why are you so sure that i would mess up my computer? i actually happen to be quite good at soldering. my only reason for not fixing it myself is that i dont't want to invalidate my warranty, and then find that for some reason i can't replace the port.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by zap23
iJon,

Do you know for a fact that they will charge me for a entire new motherboard when I get it serviced?

I'd appreciate your replies, because this seems like something they could easily fix.

Thanx

Oh yes, and tazo,

why are you so sure that i would mess up my computer? i actually happen to be quite good at soldering. my only reason for not fixing it myself is that i dont't want to invalidate my warranty, and then find that for some reason i can't replace the port.
unless you are fixing it yourself its gonna be the price of a new mobo.

iJon

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
We had a thread like this before. Apple told the guy they wouldn't fix it under the warranty because the port had been abused. Everyone agreed a short male-to-female dongle cable was a great thing.

The upshot is, either the warranty is worth something or it isn't. These modular (RJ45) connectors die all the time. If Apple won't fix it under the warranty, the warranty is worthless, so fix it yourself.

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Lets see...

1. A good soldering iron, hopefully with good thermal control.
2. Solder sucker, the spring loaded variety
3. Solder wick, these are copper wires braided together
4. Solder, 60/40 would be good
5. Replacement ethernet connector, preferably 2 or more, just in case
6. Appropriate tools to take the iBook apart
7. Instructions on how to take the whole iBook apart and put it back together
8. Grounding strap, just so you don't zap the chips when the iBook is nekkid. :D
9. Fine angletipped snippers, to snip/cut away at the broken ethernet connector
10. Dental pick or tweezers to help remove or apply leverage as you heat the connector pins

Taking the broken one is probably the most complicated part, since you don't want to break the pads on the board.
After that, you clean the pads, take out as much solder as you can.
Then, you put the good part on, and solder it in place.

Remember to test it while its outside the case, if you can.

Good luck.

P.S. Next week's lesson will be Open Heart Surgery 101 :D

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by cubist
The upshot is, either the warranty is worth something or it isn't. These modular (RJ45) connectors die all the time. If Apple won't fix it under the warranty, the warranty is worthless, so fix it yourself.

I've NEVER had an RJ-45 jack fail on me, and if I did I would still appreciate my warranty for a lot more than just fixing a connecter. As many know, a lot of iBooks are plagued by the dead video issue. Mine was, my gfs just got back from Apple for it, and I know several people who've had this problem. I was really glad to have a warranty when mine did, or else I wouldn't be typing this to you on my machine.

Don't void your warranty for something like this.

Also, when I was in Cisco class they had $500 cable testers in the lab, and gave everyone cat 5 extension cables so that we wouldn't damage the testers with our cables some of which were poorly made.

Moral of the story: An extension cable is a good thing to have.

zach

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
Well, after weighing over my various options, I used this as an excuse to get AirPort. :D

Thanks to everyone who provided advice.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by zap23
Well, after weighing over my various options, I used this as an excuse to get AirPort. :D

Thanks to everyone who provided advice.

The best solution possible. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.