Ethernet Port Replacement

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by BigBurd, Nov 30, 2003.

1. BigBurd macrumors member

BigBurd

The Ethernet port on my 600 Mhz, dual usb iBook has a loose connection. Therefore, I cannot connect to my cable modem through that port. Can anyone give me an estimate as to how much it should cost me if I have to replace that port?

Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Unless you find someone willing to unsolder/resolder components on the logic board you will need to replace the whole logic board. These run to hundreds of pounds/dollars. You might be able to solder the loose connection back in though!

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I'd say it's time to buy an Airport card and a wireless router.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i would agree; while it's a bit more expensive than soldering a new socket, it's going to be a lot less of a headache... finding people skilled enough to do this fine of a solder is difficult, finding one that is willing to do this would be downright hard. you're risking that the person would do serious damage to your logic board, even the most skilled at soldering still make occasional mistakes...

pnw

5. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

I can vouch for that - my Ethernet port in my iBook was loose on arrival - they had to replace the whole board.

6. WasabiPeanut macrumors newbie

This guy will do it for $200

John Barnum

MicroDoc

425 Lincoln Street

Eugene, Oregon 97401

800-203-5337

541-344-5020 fax

I've done it myself and it wasnt alll that hard.

S

7. ephramz macrumors member

75¢ fix?

I had this kinda thing happen to my Pismo PB. The ethernet port makes no connection with any plug stuck in there unless you really pulled up hard on the bottom of the cable plug to force the contacts.

I now just stick a thick pen under the plug, and this pressing on the port door underneath it pushes up enough on the plug to keep the connection.

Maybe it'll work for you!?