Ethernet speed problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by alexf, Jun 13, 2004.

1. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

I recently got a new G5 1.6 GHz and am shocked at how slow file transferring via Ethernet is with my Powerbook now. File transfer between the previous G4 (which the G5 replaced) and my Powerbook was very fast and efficient; now, however, it is EXTREMELY slow - it takes over an hour to transfer 50 MB!

The set-up is the same as what I was using before: both computers are plugged into an Asanté Ethernut hub (as is my DSL modem).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Try another cable or port on the hub. Or just go the firewire route and use target disk mode.

3. kewpid macrumors regular

Definitely something wrong with the ports or cable. It shouldn't take more than a minute to transfer 50 MB.

4. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Thanks for the tip.

Yes, I did try another cable and a different port - to no avail.

The firewire method is less convenient, especially as I would also like to network my wife's Mac with the other machines also.

Should I perhaps get a router, or would this not solve anything?

I still cannot understand why the connection is now so painfully slow. It doesn't make any sense to me...

5. mr_mac macrumors member

mr_mac

Please make sure that in system preferences/network/built-in ethernet/ethernet tab that your configuration is on automatic. (on both machines.)

Try flushing network preferences.

/library/preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
    (not the library in the user folder, but the one at HD's root)

Hope this helps,

Mrmac

6. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately that didn't help... :(

7. russed macrumors 68000

russed

try a direct connection, plug the pb straight into the g5 see if that works

8. osprey76 macrumors 6502

It still shouldn't take that long, but what is the speed of the hub? Depending on your hub, it could just be running 10 speed, since the slowest port, the cable modem, is that speed. Most hubs connect various ports together at their respective max speed, but perhaps it's not if there is a lot of 'Net activity (which would also clog up the network). Even if all of that is happening, the transfer time seems too long.

9. osprey76 macrumors 6502

This would only help if there is a physical problem with your hub. Another hub might be something to try if you have one you can borrow.

Are you paying for more than one IP address? Last time I had a cable modem with roommates we paid probably $10 per month for 2 extra IP addresses to connect all three computers. Finally, I bought simple Linksys 4-port router and it paid for itself in 6 months by not having to pay for extra IP addresses.

10. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Yes, what you're saying makes sense, but I don't think this is the problem, since I really didn't change anything with my Ethernet port / modem configuration when I upgraded the G4 to a G5.

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yup, yup, that's what I was just about to suggest. The less variables in-between that he has to worry about, the less likely that something will screw up.

However, if there's a problem with his hub, it still does not bode well for accessing the internet in general. He should probably check it out and maybe get a new hub.

12. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

I will try to connect the two computers directly. However, even if this does work fine, this isn't a solution, as my two computers and my wife's have to share a DSL connection through the hub, and plus I'd like to network them all together.

The reason that I don't think it's the hub is that I'm getting a fast Internet connection; ironically, probably faster than between the two computers!

13. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Im curious how you have your network setup to share an internet connection with a hub? I thought you need a router to bridge the internal/external IP addresses. Or do you pay for two IPs? Im guessing its not a switched hub, perhaps your packets are colliding and causing stress on your internal network file transfers. Just a thought. One way to find out would be disconnect the DSL modem from your computer and try the same network copy.

The direct connect method would also help you diagnose whether the hub is suspect.

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

yeah, that sure is strange. I guess it's a possibility that one of the computers (presumably, the one that you haven't been using with your DSL connection) has a bad ethernet card. who knows?! let us know how things turn out.

15. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Yes, it is only a hub, but for some reason I have always been able to share my Internet connection between up to 5 (and maybe more) computers without a problem (although the IP addresses change, making networking the computers together inconvenient).

I would suspect that this was the problem, but with my previous computer filesharing over Ethernet was very fast.

In any case, maybe it is finally time to invest in a router...

16. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't suggest sharing files internally between both of your computers and having your internet access connected to the same network. Essentially you are just begging for hackers and other intruders to just come walking into your network via your cable/DSL modem.

Go buy yourself a Linksys router with a 4 port switch in it. Your performance will go up verus the hub and it will be a lot more secure for your internal file sharing.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Second this, esp. if you can borrow a switch/router from somebody? A hub doesn't really sound like the right piece of hardware for everything you want to do.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a switch should definitely short circuit the outside internet connection when the two computers talk to each other, right, meaning you should be at 100 MBPS or whatever. Well, even if you really are at 10, you should get a very high burst throughput and it shouldn't be that agonizing.

18. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Thanks to both of you for the good advice. I guess that it's finally time to splurge on a router... Any recommendations besides Linksys, or is this probably the best?

19. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

One more question: would I have to upgrade my Earthlink DSL plan if I get a router? I noticed that they supply a router with their multple connection plan for $10 more per month... Yet I don't know if they are actually changing anything on their end.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You should not have to. What it looks like is:

- The *router* logs into the DSL modem and takes over the IP address that it gets assigned via DCHP. So if you are using PPPoE on your computer now to log into the DSL modem, these settings then get transferred into the router.

- The router creates a "fake" downstream network with addresses like 192.168.1.1 -- that is, the address looks like an IP address but it won't be visible from the external net.

- Typically the setups on the computers becomes greatly simplified. They don't have to log into anything, unless the router is protected access. The computers can see each other using the 192.... addresses.

You will have to a little setup work, and possibly a little change to the DSL modem configuration (not too hard). But you don't have to pay the fee to Earthlink (almost certain -- true for most ISPs...the fee is a ripoff for users who aren't tech savvy).

Other brands to look at: Netgear or maybe DLink. Amazon has *amazing* deals on Netgear 802.11g and Super-G wireless routers right now, which do what you want + also have wireless access as an extra.

21. mr_mac macrumors member

mr_mac

Asante are usually better. more reliable and a well known mac experience. but a little more expensive. (by 10-20$)

Linksys are not bad. Feature rich but not as reliable.

Stay away from netgear.

Dlink are not bad, but are not feature rich.

I own a FR3004LC and a VR2004AC from asanté as well as a Linksys BEFSR41 v4.

The very best that was ever made was the FR3004LC, but is no longer available.

A good choice would be the following:

http://www.asante.com/products/routers/FR1004/index.html

Have fun,

Mrmac

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Dunno why people seem to have alternating awesome or terrible experiences with any given brand. :( It's worse than peoples' MacOS update woes. ;)

But wired routers should be less painful than wireless ones. If you do decide to go wireless look at this thread also:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=64271&highlight=108+mbps

I'll let you know how my Netgear WGR614 works when it arrives (I have AEBS right now FWIW, the Netgear is going to stay in my parents' house as a fathers' day present, but I will try my iBook on it).

23. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Thanks for the very helpful explanation. What exactly do you mean by "They don't have to log into anything?" My dream would be to have all 3 (or maybe 4) Macs permanently connected, and never have to log in to one or the other to get access to the files. Yet from my understanding this is not possible with OS X, or...?

24. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

I don't know if someone mentioned this but did you use a CROSSOVER cable to connect the two computers DIRECTLY. If the transfer speed using this is slow, then you know the problem is the G5 or the powerbook.

25. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You don't need to use a crossover cable when connecting newer model macs. They are autosensing.