Ethernet Switch.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macgeek2005, Mar 4, 2006.

1. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

I decided that before ordering this ethernet switch, I'd double check here, that it'll do what I want.

I'm getting for $49.99 a Netgear 5 port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch. What I need to do is this.

I need to go from a box in the wall, to the switch, and from the switch, to two computers. Am I gonna need a crossover cable to go from the box in the wall to the switch? Right now I have a modem connected to a router, and the cable isn't crossover, so I wouldn't think I would need one.

We're going from the modem to the router, from the router to a box, from the box we'll send a cable underneath the house to the other end, and then make another box there, and that's where I go to the Switch.

Is this the right item i'm about to buy? Or am I gonna find out it's not what I want?

I just need a confirmation that this is indeed the right item.

Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

On a lot of new swtiches these days all the ports are autodetecting so don't need crossover cables (just like the ports on Macs). Check the spec for the switch. If the ports are described as auto MDI-X or similar it will perform the crossover for you without the need for a special cable.

3. macgeek2005 thread starter macrumors 65816

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Just to confirm I got this from the installation guide:

"Ethernet cables come as either straight-through or crossover cables—depending on whether
    you’re connecting to a device (computer, server, or printer) or networking equipment (hub,
    switch, or router). With the Auto UplinkTM feature, you don’t have to worry about which one
    you use. Each port on the GS605/GS608 switch automatically configures itself correctly when
    you plug in a device’s cable. "