ethernet woes

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sonofslim, Dec 10, 2003.

1. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
    one of my coworkers is having problems with his OS9 G4 (a blue one -- not sure of the model just yet). upon startup, it gets to the desktop and freezes for a few minutes. after that, it's fine.

it looks like an ethernet problem; after a lot of trial & error, i found that removing the Apple Enet extension solves the problem, but of course leaves the machine without a functioning ethernet port. i tried replacing it with a copy of a working extension from another machine, but the problem persisted.

it's not set to automatically mount a network drive on startup, although when it is, the freeze time is even longer. so i don't know if this is a system problem, or a problem with the card itself (and thus disabling it by removing the extension removes the problem) or maybe even with our network.

any thoughts?
  2. NP3 macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I would try hitting command-option-ESC to see what is running when it freezes.

I had a similar problem in os9 where i had set it up to automatically load a network drive that wasn't would repeatedly crash even after i had removed the startup network drive.....I solved it by re-installing the os.

also try replacing appleshare extensions etc...they might be confused.