Etymotic ER-6i or Shure E3?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ipaqman, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Ipaqman macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2003
    hey everyone,

i am having trouble deciding between these two headphones, the Etymotic ER-6i and the Shure E3. in your opinion which is a better headphone to go with my ipod. also, where is the best and cheapest place to purchase these headphones?

thanks for your help,
  2. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Just to confuse matters, I would like to suggest Shure E2C's. I have them and they are absolutely awesome. Period.
  3. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2003
    where is the cheapest place to get them?
  4. daxdagr8t macrumors member

Jun 1, 2004
    i got my e2c at for $65. you can go to pricewatch and check it out if someone is selling it for less.
  5. geeman macrumors regular

Nov 27, 2001
    At My Mac
    Etys - no question.

I've got the ER-4S version that I use with a very small headphone amp that's connected out of the lineout from the iPod (thereby bypassing the iPod amp). The sound quality from high-Kbps / Apple lossless files is absolutely fantastic.
  6. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2004
    Grand Haven, Michigan

I use the Etymotics. I highly recommend them. Overall, you probably can't go wrong.

7. vga4life macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2004
    I'll dissent and vote for the E3's - the ER-6 is not in the same league. (The ER-4's are, of course, excellent.)

I found the E3 to be more comfortable, more efficient (i.e. louder at a given volume setting), and to have much better bass response than the ER-6.

Everyone gets a woody over Etymotics, but only the ER-4's are worth the hype in my experience.

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I have Ety 6's and I love em, well worth the moeny imo.