EU education via sitcom

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Nov 21, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Does anyone else think that this is an excellent idea? I think the idea behind this show is inspired. Important and relevant information about political and economic issues are presented in an easy-to-understand way to the average man, while at the same time being entertaining and satirical.

Could the US do something like this? Should it? God knows our electorate obviously needs some education on the larger picture and the workings of our Political and Economic system.

Shows like the Daily show, have already proven that you can have an entertaining and informative show at the same time, so I could see there being a market. People have also been interested in Politically themed shows such as the "West Wing". I could see there being an audience.

Comments on any of this?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A cross between "Yes, Prime Minister" and "The Office" would be entertaining.
    "Yes, Mr President" or "The Oval Orifice"?

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i visited parts of romania 11 years ago and it was one of the most intense experiences of my life. i didn't see anything that would have led me to guess they'd put up a show like this, but bravo to them.

maybe it's time i went back...

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's a very unusual destination. What were you doing there?

Clearly causing trouble... :)

5. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

Zim, I am interested as to why you went there and perhaps a little more explanation of why the experience was so intense.

I have long wanted to go to Romania, in part to go to Bucharest ( and stay at the Hotel Athena, albeit a century too late), in part to go to see the painted Monastaries in Bucovina and in part just of of fascination of the Romanians, both physically (their somewhat inexplicable latin look and tempermant) and socially, as they are from what I have heard, disarmingly amoral, as both a product of an a reaction to, the Rule of so many Tyrants.

Back to my original post, if Romania can manage a TV show of this order, then what is our excuse?

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not that unusual. I went back there myself the last time some meddler destroyed all of my coffins.

7. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

oooooh...vampire humor. très sophistiqué.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Hence the Veil?

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Very perceptive of you.

Yeah, "Thomas Shroud" just wasn't doing it for me.

10. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

It is merely a name...Is your preference close to your heart? Or do you have a stake in something larger?

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

My, my...this thread went south fast, didn't it? :D

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

why i went to romania, by zim

it was the fall of 1992. i had recently returned from my first trip to europe (scotland, england, france, belgium, netherlands, germany) and wanted more. my travel partner on that trip, a german woman who had just moved chicago, suggested a trip to eastern europe w/ some of her friends she'd met while doing a semester at berkeley.

the 5 of us met in munich (at my friend's parents' house) and rented a rather hilarious mercedes van. it sat 7 or 8, was white and had pastel splotches across the sides. also, it was diesel, which played no small part in our ability to Escape From Romania.

we camped our way through austria and hungary, then decided to take a run for romania. none of us had any great idea what we'd find there, but there was a general consensus that we wanted to see the carpathian mountains.

we'd heard that there were fuel shortages in romania, so we loaded up the tank, plus filled an extra 5? 10? liter fuel container we'd brought with us. and we invented a rule: we will travel no more than 1/2 tankful into romania. if we are unable to find additional fuel, we will turn around and come back.

you should recall that this was during the yugoslav war(s). one of the german states went on vacation, so all the turks who wanted to head home and normally go through yugoslavia had rerouted themselves through romania. we figured this out once we hit the line of stopped traffic to get into romania. we asked around and found out it was a two day wait.

"no good!" we exclaimed and had a look at a map. to the north, near ukraine, was a border entrance. the town, iirc, is called Satu (saint) Clare. or maybe Satu Mare. anyway, that turned out to be a 12 or 13 hour wait, but we eventually crossed in at about 3 a.m. Perhaps i'll leave the description of the desolate crossing, with the soviet-era general and the teenages w/ automatic weapons, smashing the window of a german's car and dragging him off to the bunker for another time.

wild dogs chased us as we drove into romania.

it was intense because the country was other-worldly. the countryside was among the most beautiful i've seen, but the cities among the ugliest. the two-lane roads were shared by passenger cars, overloaded trucks, horse-drawn carriages, bicycles, etc.

whereas, in hungary, i was struck by the life force of the people, in romania, everyone was like the walking dead. except maybe the gypsy kids, who spoke to us the few words of english they knew at every opportunity. (including "Rambo!")

that first night we slept in the vehicle. we woke up shortly after dawn and drove through a forest, shrouded in fog. in an instant i understood where every scary children's story had its origin.

many other memories: like the disgusting, salty orange-colored lunch we had -- fed two for seventy-five cents. buying the last 2 liters of diesel in a station outside brasov, just as 5 trucks pulled in behind us. seeing lines of cars miles long to buy leaded gasoline. fuel was cheap, subsidized by the gov't, but there was almost none to be had. a little price fluctuation was in order, we thought.

the best sandwich i've ever had -- we got bread, goat cheese and tomatoes from a market, then added the tube of paprika sauce from hungary. grocery stores that looked more like museum displays, due to the distance between the individual items on the shelves. a romanian women hitting on me, being shut down by her husband, then allowed to be friendly to me again once he decided he could make some money off me (he didn't) by exchanging currency.

of course, at some point during the trip we threw our rule out the window and pressed onwards.

in bran, we saw the castle of vlad the impaler (it was marketed as Dracula's Castle, complete with separate prices for romanians and tourists). it was being converted into a hotel.

the finale -- we were just about out of diesel, and decided to make an overnight run back to hungary. we needed to score one more diesel station. at about 3 a.m., in a small town, i drove past a line of cars and to the diesel pump at one of the rare filling stations. i asked around (in german) and found out that there was rumor of a gas truck coming the next day, so people had lined up during the night.

off in the corner were some guys selling black market diesel. i negotiated a fill-up with them and paid in hard currency (deutschmark). while we filled the tank, from their portable containers, i checked out what i was buying. it smelled right, it looked right, and the vastly-inflated price was right (about what we'd normally be paying in germany). i reckoned i was dealing w/ organized crime, which was preferable to dealing w/ undercover police.

several hours later, we were in hungary.

i can't recall exactly how long we were there, i think it was 2 full days. it left a pretty big impression on me; that's probably clear.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You win.

(And now the Google box at the bottom is filled with ads for Romanian vacations.)

(lemur, lemur, lemur, lemur, lemur, lemur....) :rolleyes:

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

My best friend is from Romania (he's Hungarian).

He goes back every now and again for vacation, and remebers why he hates it everytime.

He was there this past spring, and apparently the mob is out of control. He says it was infinitely better under Communism.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Six of one....

As a young woman, my mother-in-law was held in a Communist concentration camp in nearby Yugoslavia. She saw her brother shot there. She still has relatives in the country, but she won't go to visit them, even though she knows the Communists aren't running things any more. The fear, pain and anger are just too deep.