EU expands tonight...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by markoibook, Apr 30, 2004.

1. markoibook macrumors regular

2. markoibook thread starter macrumors regular

Out of interest - is there anyone here from any of the 10 new countries joining - if so what's your view on it? Are you glad to be joining the EU, and what benefits will it bring you??

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

4. iceman17505 macrumors newbie

Down with the EU!

The EU brings down the economy of all the countries that join it. It was a bad idea from the start and now peopleare starting to regret joining. Not to mention the fact that the EU harbors tarrorists...

5. markoibook thread starter macrumors regular

Out of interest, what country are you from? I know that in the UK many people feel that the EU does bring down the UK's economy.

Also there is the scare of the U.S.E - the United States of Europe...

6. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

Actually its a great idea for the EU although not necessarily for all of its members. Time to call our troops home their not needed in Europe anymore.

7. markoibook thread starter macrumors regular

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Do you think the Euroskeptic sentiment will be enough to sink the new Constitution? I would think that there will have to be some provision placed in the new draft to have it go into effect without a unanimous vote of the 25 members in the countries that do vote to adopt. Otherwise, it is likely a futile effort, considering the move to referendums that Blair has started. Enough fear will be generated somewhere to make a unanimous vote unlikely.

9. markoibook thread starter macrumors regular

3 hours and counting....

Only 3 hours to go now. Strange thing is, it doesn't seem to be such a big thing in the UK than you might think.
    I remember the introduction of the Euro - that was a big thing here, even though we didn't partake. Surely the almost doubling of the EU is just as big an issue - maybe even bigger!!???

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Perhaps if we ignore it, it'll go away...

11. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Don't worry about Iceman, markoibook. He's a troll who, I think, is already banned.

I'd say that this story is only big in the US among news junkies like myself. I don't think that many the the US realize that the combination of loss of respect in America and a lack of leadership by America, combined with the growth of the EU, is setting up a new dynamic in the world -- both politically and economically. I think this is a healthy development.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'd say it'll be a long, long time before Europe has a united political voice. Chirac and Berlusconi do not speak for me.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I wish there was a way to merge these two threads...

14. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I'm sort-of a news junkie, but most of the news outlets seem to be covering more critical news, namely, the Michael Jackson case. :(

Is there any good information on-line that discusses the purpose/charter of the EU?

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Try http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2950276.stm for a primer.

16. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Try the EU's own web site for more information than you'll ever want to know.

Europa

17. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

18. markoibook thread starter macrumors regular

So thats it - the EU just got a whole lot bigger...

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Whoop-de-Doop! I feel like a new person! Suddenly I can speak in tongues!

20. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Wish I were in Paris tonight. Congratulations to the new EU members. I've decided to open a bottle Champagne to celebrate.

Attached Files:

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Any excuse :D

22. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Isn't that cool? I can just sit in my car now and travel almost whole eastern europe just like that in addition to all the other countries. The only thing I need is my ID card! :)

15 years ago you needed a visa for going anywhere there or you couldn't go at all. MP at the borders with machine guns all over the place. Pretty much like it is today, when you want to enter the USA! ;)

Really guys, you get so much used to not be checked anymore at the borders in Europe that you feel like going to prison when you want to travel to North America. Last time we were in Canada (for X-mas) we had to wait 1.5 hours in line before we were past the little Immigration Canada booth. It was really fun with a 2.5 years old kid after travelling since 11 hours. :rolleyes: When we went back to Europe (via Paris) we had to wait for 1 minute in line. Now that's a difference, right? Unfornatunately the North Americans really became paranoid.

If it wouldn't be for the family of my wife, we wouldn't go at all anymore to North America...

A heartly "welcome" to the 10 new members! :)

groovebuster

23. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Actually, its the family of my wife that makes me want to not be in North America anymore. But that's another story . . . ;) :D

24. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

God, I'd hope not! :p But skunk, even if I agree with your feelings about those two, which I wholeheartedly do, it doesn't mean there aren't a lot of good things about this expansion. Some dangers as well, to be sure, but, in general, it's a good thing for the countries of Europe to knock down barriers that separate them, wouldn't you say?

25. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

:D :D :D :D :D

Oh, well... mothers-in-law are really another story! :p

With mine I negotiated a ceasefire and since then we really can have a lot of fun... as long as I just ignore her attitiude on daily life things. Man, why women become so strange when they are over 50??? My mother also starts to be a pain in the lower back lately. My poor wife... :rolleyes:

groovebuster