EU iPhone brought to the US!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gios, Jan 3, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm an italian university student who's going to study in the US during the next 4 months.
    I own an iPhone 5 model A1429 so I won't be getting any LTE juice in the US, but I will still need a US SIM card during my trip.
    So, as a foreigner, I'd like to get some advice regarding the best operator I can choose considering I can't subscribe a 24 months contract, but still want phone and, most importantly, data connection (at least 1GB/month, but 2GB would be better).

Can you please help me out?

2. macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

As long as your phone is GSM I would suggest Net10, they have a month to month everything unlimited for $50.00 a month, works on AT&T network so seems to be pretty good. It is what I use for my personal phone.

Where are you from in Italy? My wife's family comes from a small city next to Reggio.

Hope this helps

3. macrumors 68020

AppleFanatic10

Check this thread out; lists a bunch of prepaid carriers and their plans. Hope it's helpful: http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1356525.html

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help guys, I'm looking into these options but it takes some time to confront them all.
    Btw what I'm looking for in particular is:
    - internet is a priority 1Gb minimum. Also a reliable network is essential (so I'm guessing AT&T coverage is the best for GSM phones)
    - national calls and texts are nice but I don't need unlimited, I'd say 300 minutes/month are enough, I don't plan to make long phone calls and texts aren't essential these days with whatsapp/facebook/imessages.
    - international calls are a sweet addition but, again, I would be using them in emergencies mostly, else I'm relying on skype/facetime for daily calls at home.
    - As for the pricing, I was looking to something around 30$, but I understand US more expensive than Italy (We mostly use prepaid sim cards, I currently pay 11€/mo for unlim texts and 2GB internet, no calls included in the plan, and I also get twice the value in € when I top up the credit).

Is it Reggio Emilia or Reggio Calabria? I'm from Milan btw, so quite far from either Reggios :)

5. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Straight talk.
    You will get HSPA+ data of about 2GB or more per month and unlimited talk and Text to any US number for $45.

6. HiddenPuppy, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

Regio Emilia, home of the best Parmesan in the world!!!! the actual town is Castelnovo di Sotto

7. macrumors member

What does your Italian carrier say?

8. macrumors 68020

Yeah, Straight Talk or Net10 is your best bet. AT&T's network has good coverage in most of the US. Where will you be in the US?

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

What about it? :p I don't think my carrier (TIM) offers internet internationally for a reasonable price :(

I'm going to stay in University of Maryland, near DC.

10. macrumors regular

I am in the same boat. Visiting in the US.
    I bought the net10 service. Can anybody give an idea of how long it takes to activate the service ? Right now the phone says NO service. And on the account on the website it says No Number Assigned.
    So still waiting I guess. Hopefully it gets through.

Can someone who had done this before suggest how long it takes ?