EU Plans Fine, Remedies for Microsoft 'Abuses'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Ambrose Chapel, Aug 6, 2003.

1. macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

2. macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Let's just hope the EU has more guts than the Ashcroft Justice Department. Actually, in Ashcroft's case it was less about courage to enforce the law and more about which side his bread was buttered on. Gates has been able to buy his way out of any but minor penalties; I'm not hopeful this won't be just another case when money talks and governments balk.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

Yeah I'm sure this whole thing of M$ opening some of their source code up to some European governments is an attempt to stem the damage. Hopefully more of them go to Linux and thus undercut Bill's sway.

4. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I didn't know there were antitrust laws in Europe - I learn something every day...

How does this happen? Does the EU conviene as a governing body and decide to do this as a group, or is there one national government as the spearhead, and the others follow along?

Please excuse my ignorance... I'm just trying to learn.

and they're spokesperson is "Tiffany"... that's just one of those names that doesn't instill much feeling of authority, or is it just me?

5. Guest

caveman_uk

It's done by the EU commission which I have to admit I don't fully understand but AFAIK has nominated persons from each of the union countries on it. It's unelected but deals mostly with trade laws and trading disputes between EU members. The EU parliament is the elected body of the EU (which makes European Laws which then have to be enacted by member states own governments) and there's the European court which in most areas is the highest legal authority in the EU - it's authority exceeds that of the members states own courts. It rules mostly on human rights and stuff like that.

Oh and the name was Tilman not Tiffany