Eudora goes open-source

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 11, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: 3rd Party Software
    Link: Eudora goes open-source
    Description:: Qualcomm has announced that future versions of its email client Eudora will be open-source, and provides more details on the development in a FAQ.

The company is in discussion with the Mozilla Foundation, hoping to base future Windows and Mac versions of Eudora on Thunderbird’s code. It expects that the open-source Eudora will be available sometime in the first half of 2007.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors newbie

Hopefully, this will make the whole Eudora mess less of a pain to troubleshoot :rolleyes: ...

3. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I used Eudora exclusively (on both Windows and Mac) for nine years before switching to Mail about a year ago. I still miss some of its features...it'll be interesting to see what lies ahead for it.

4. macrumors 601

generik

Spotlight support would be nice.

5. Moderator emeritus

It's a good chance for the client to move into the late 1990s. I gave it up a few years ago, when it had decided that the index was broken and re-built it to bring back all my deleted e-mail and to toss my good e-mail.

I still remember fighting with the thing to get HTML e-mails to look right. Cross-platform attachments were another huge problem for me. When the index hit the fan, I switched to Thunderbird and haven't looked back since then.

Eudora was good at handling lots of history--except when it lost it. :eek: Here's to a better application.