Europe?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jer446, Mar 5, 2006.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Im pretty excited.. im touring europe this summer.. it is going to be awesome.. I just realized i dont know anything about it lol.. There plugs are different there right, so do i need to get different adapters for all my electronics like my camera, ipod etc? Also, i have verizon wireless cell phone.. that isnt going to work over in europe right? What should i do? Does att/cingular work over there? If so, can i buy one of those prepaid phones and will that suit my needs?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Hey! I'm going to Europe this Summer also! :)

You will need an adaptor for electronics. Their voltage over there is 240 compared to our 120.

I'm not positive; but I do not think your Verizon phone will work over there. Verizon is CDMA, and AFAIK the rest of the world is GSM.
    I'm not sure about using cingular phones over there (at&t is long gone). You would probably be better off buying a pre-paid phone while you are over there.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You will need plug and possibly voltage adaptors for your electric gear. Apple portable equipment will be fine in terms of voltage but check that any other gear have switching supplies rated 110-240v AC.

Your phone will not work unless it is GSM, and even then unless it is at least tri-band GSM as you Americans chose to run your GSM networks on a different frequency to everywhere else in the whole world!

Roaming charges would probably be outrageous even if it does work so a cheap pay as you go mobile will probably make more sense anyway.

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

You may find one of these will be very useful. It won't change the voltage, but it will adapt plugs pin outs to most/all European configs, as they're are slightly different in some countries.

... and don't forget to put that Canadian flag on your backpack... :D :D :D

5. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

but when im there, if i buy a prepaid phone, will i be able to call home in america??

6. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Depends on the operator. Some pre-pay phones are barred from international calling. You may well find it's cheaper to use calling cards, which may give special cheap rates for the USA.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You don't say where in Europe you are going to be. Be aware that there is no Europe wide cell-company (well there are are but not really). If you buy a phone in the UK it is "at home" in the UK and will be roaming anywhere else in Europe (and roaming costs a lot more).

That said you can buy a, for example, Orange PAYG phone in the UK and call the US. The costs are listed here towards the bottom of the page (pay monthly is a contract).

8. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

this is where im going
    [​IMG]
    im sure the company will tell me more about what to do but its a pain since i cant like text my friends or anything

9. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

First of all, congrats on your upcoming trip - it's going to be amazing!
    You should check out some good tour books for help with your questions. Two series that come to mind are "Lonely Planet" and "Rick Steve's."
    They both touch on how to keep in touch with people in the US as well as what you need with regards to electronics.
    Good luck!

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

OK, so you start in the UK. So a UK phone is probably going to be the plan. But as you are going to spend most of your time outside the UK you'll end up paying a fortune in roaming charges. Do you really need a cell phone when you are over here? Can you not use calling cards in each country when you want to call home?

11. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

im going to find out more about this.. im sure they have something set up.. im going to be over there for a total of 32 days.. I cant wait:)

12. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

If you buy a pay as you go phone in the UK, you will find its 35p for a text to anywhere in the world pretty much, I think. Pretty costly.

13. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

What with the woohoo everytime an american plane touches down in Shannon, who can blame him ;)

Besides I think he may have caught a glimpse of the Irish Blimp or Tánaiste as she likes to be refered to and that scared him off :D

If the incredible hulk had a sister
    [​IMG]

OMG look at this smiley :D
    IT's HER!!!

15. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Fair points both! ;)

Though the planes don't really need to land, even when they just fly over we wave our fists angrily at them! (As for the second comment, I'll just let that one go...)

Seriously it sounds like a great trip though. Funny that I've travelled far more around Asia, South America & Australia but not much closer to home. Barcelona in particular I really would love to visit.

16. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Don't use that map to find London or Oxford. It's slightly inaccurate. :p

Looks like you'll have an amazing trip!! A lot of cities to fit in one month.

Have fun! :cool:

17. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I wouldn't use it to find the North Sea, either... ;)

18. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Barcelona is in a funky place as well.

(oops no its not, me bad, especially since I've been there)

FYI you have to visit all the Gaudi stuff.

19. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

I looked up that tour and $9000 is an insane amount to pay. Im backpacking for two months next year for about half that, should be an adventure.

But go to wal-mart and get the $25 voltage adapter kit. And my verizon phone did not work. It was completely useless.

20. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ha yeah 9 grand not including spending money and airfair lol i know its a lot of money, but i did it last year but i traveled cross country, and its an amazing experience.. You make great friends, not to mention the girls alone are worth the 9 grand :)

21. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

OMG... I did two Rein Teen Tours... I LOVED them. I hope you have a GREAT time. I think Norman is leading your tour - he is AWESOME.

22. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

Well Im not in your situation. 9000? Id move to Europe. I could pay quite a few months rent until i could find a job with that much cash on hand.