European Mars Probe, Beagle 2, To Land On Mars Soon!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

w00t! Have you seen the English Prof in charge of this? He sounds/looks like a yorkshire farmer, it's GrEaT! :D We are such pros, lol!

3. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

It's very British to call it Beagle. What's our next one gonna be called...'Badger'?

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That would be quality! :D or better yet...erm...hmmm...maybe...erm..."FishN'ChipsExplorer3"

5. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I can see it now on CNN, "A new British lead expedition 'Bangers and Mash' has touched down on the surface of Venus."

6. MyLeftNut macrumors regular

7. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

best of luck to y'all..

america tried to do that a few years back, and the probe crashed 'cuz the guy at NASA couldnt convert from english to metric:rolleyes:

8. alphaone macrumors 6502

Oh dear...This is sounding like the Mars Polar Lander deal all over again. :(

"We were scheduled to pick up a signal using the American Mars Odyssey spacecraft a little earlier from Beagle 2. The overflight of the American spacecraft has taken place. The data have been returned to the Earth and analyzed. At the moment, I'm sorry to say that we don't have a signal, yet, from the Beagle lander.

"This is not the end of the story -- it is very important to remember that. This was our first opportunity to pick up a signal. The antenna on Beagle may be pointed in the wrong direction. There may be some delay. However, getting signals back from Mars is not straightforward.

"Our next opportunity will be just before midnight Central European Time (2300 GMT; 6 p.m. EST) when we will use the large, 76-meter radio telescope, Jodrell Bank, in northern England to listen for signals from Beagle."

link

I really do hope they find it in one piece.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I doubt its in one piece, it probably scattered all over the place just like all those other mars failures. We do seem to have a problem getting things to mars and still have it working.:( maybe its those darn aliens, in fact they probably have it sitting in one of their museums with a sign on it that says another failed attempt my man.

10. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Don't give up hope so soon....its still too early to tell. I really hope they get a signal.....

D

11. alphaone macrumors 6502

Lets hope that they can find it tonight with their big 76-meter radio telescope in Britain. It may just have been that the lander hadn't fully opened up yet. Here's to hoping...

12. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Damn martians always messing up our explorations. Its hapening again......

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i rather like the name, if this were a US expedition, we could just call it "this will crash and burn costing us incredible sums of money and making everyone lose a little bit more faith in NASA".

Or, TWCABCUISOMAMELALBMFIN for short.

:)
    paul

14. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Not looking good, second pass and still nothing.

Its all up to the big radio telescope now....:(

D

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I certainly hope that they will have success contacting the Beagle. So far only the mother ship is responding.

16. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

it's because they picked the wrong british band to provide the first sound! had they picked radiohead's subterranean homesick alien instead of that blur song, we'd have gotten contact by now

:D :p ;)

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

never cared for the landing technique, i mean after all how many times can electronics be bounced up and down?

18. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

If they had sent an iPod up there, it would surely still work :p

19. alphaone macrumors 6502

I think the Beagle 2 is dead. The radio telescope searched for 2 hours and found nothing...:(

20. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Maybe it got shot out of the sky by martians?

:p

21. iGav macrumors G3

:p :p :p :p that's what I thought too.... heheheh... 'look the Earthlings, they're here... run! run for your lives!!' :eek: :eek: :eek:

22. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Ever think that the whole "dead" Mars thing is a cunning ruse?

Sort of reminds me of Toy Story -

"Quick - act lifeless! Someone's coming..."

;)

23. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Mars does seem to have a disproportionate amount of failed missions. (that fail when they get close to Mars.)

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Having these failed missions just goes to point out the advantages of manned space flights. There were problems with the Apollo misssions, but it was the intervention of the astronauts they prevented disaster. The landing on the Moon by Apollo 11 ran into problems with the LEM, but the pilot took over control from the computer with seconds to spare to land safely. With Apollo 13's oxygen tank explosion, they devised a way to return home safely.

25. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Part of the problem is that NASA probes are ridiculously designed things. NASA designs their probes by committee and ends up insanely complex probes with millions of things that could go wrong.